"peer-pressure has lost its grasp on me" - UBC Supplemental - Ethical Dilemma

jeffng930 1 / -  
The topic is to explain a ethical dilemma within the last 4 years and explain what you have learned.
it needs to be under 200 words (mines at 201). Any input will be appreciated! Thanks

High school is an extremely stressful period for students. There are expectations set by both your teachers and friends: teachers expect high grades while the students always desire your help. I go to a small high school in which all the members of the community know each other; this close-knit society can both help and harm you. Peer-pressure is a powerful force; humans are social animals that are programmed to seek the inclusion and support from their social groups. One wrong move and you will end up a social outcast, every teenager's nightmare. Last year, I had come to a point where I had to make a crucial decision. My friend had been absent the day of a test and insisted that I give him the answers to the test. With some convincing, I eventually succumbed to his pleas and provided the answers partly from peer-pressure and because I was busy. He was caught and both of our tests were taken away and given zeros. The consequences were justified and since then peer-pressure has lost its grasp on me; I have learned to say no to many situations, not only related to cheating but other things that I don't want to do.
nicoler22 3 / 4  
"the students always desire your their help."

provided the answers partly from peer-pressure and because I was busy.
What do you mean by this? Not really clear.

The beginning lags on for a while and doesn't really get to the point of the ethical problem until about the last sentence or so. Since you have such a limited capacity try to start your point earlier so that you can expand more on what you're trying to get across rather than the background.
I guess I feel like this is not original enough. It is a story that has been told many times. How about something very interesting? It will be great if you had an ethical dilemma that caused you frustration, and in order to avoid the dilemma you need to get a great education in your chosen field. You might want to write about a dilemma that has something to do with your chosen field.

I like the style you used to tell the story here, though. Cool details. For example, I like the detail about "partly because I was busy..."

:-)

Still, I think this is too common... an old story!
shahbaaz 2 / 6  
Hi, just wanna ask...what is your average and what should you have to get into UBC commerce...i am really stressed. I don't really know what to do. My average right now is 90%. And does UBC look at your second term or your first terms.
Don't be stressed! Study what interests you, write about it, and contribute to your field. Make your contribution, and reap the rewards. No school can determine your destiny.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "peer-pressure has lost its grasp on me" - UBC Supplemental - Ethical Dilemma