Penn "I love solving problems"

jebhogiaye 6 / 14  
I love solving problems. Hopefully the College of Arts and Sciences at Penn will enhance my problem solving skills. Its emphasis on classical studies would give me the tools to analyze a situation, not just follow a formula to find an answer. The freedom to study at virtually any of the various schools, whether graduate or undergraduate is very attractive because I would learn the different ways to approach problems through studying various subjects.

I am applying to the College of Arts and Sciences because of the various opportunities to explore my interests. I hope to major in economics and mathematics and use my problem solving skills to contribute to society in the future. I recently discovered my connection to a small Nigerian village, Ohordua, and I am interested in studying the economic system there and in other developing areas to solve problems that they may face. For that reason, I am very interested in developmental economics. My goal in attending Penn is to develop the problem solving skills to serve as a practical developmental economist, advising developing countries on how to solve their problems. I am also interested in business, music and African studies. I want to major in economics or mathematics, but the fact that I can study subjects that are not related to my major is appealing.

I hope to grow as an active member of the Penn community which would hopefully translate to making an impact on the world community. I have been a very active and enthusiastic member of my high school's Model UN team, and I would like to participate at the collegiate level. One of my favorite hobbies is playing the clarinet. I have participated enthusiastically. I was first chair in the marching band and second chair in the Symphonic Orchestra and Wind Ensemble. Since I have been a very involved member of the marching band at my high school, even becoming the drum major of the band, I would love to continue to participate in any musical ensembles, especially the University of Pennsylvania Band and Penn Wind Ensemble. My interests include participating in various community service opportunities because that is an enjoyable way to serve the community. I would embrace any chance to offer my talents to better the community or become involved in an interest.

If I attend Penn, I plan to critically engage the course material and develop skills for a lifetime of success. The College of Arts and Sciences and its interdisciplinary approach should suit me well because of my multivariate interests and emphasis on problem solving. I am at an early stage in the learning process, so I don't know everything about what I want to study, but I express an honest interest and am willing to learn and work hard. Attending Penn will help me reach my goal of becoming a practical developmental economist and contributing to the Penn community through my participation in the extracurricular activities availableAny help is appreciated.
taman121 2 / 2  
Hi,
You should start out with a clever introduction. It is really generic. If you have an interesting introduction, it will set you apart. I recommend describing a puzzle that you did or couldn't do. It would be refreshing.

Hope this helps. :)
Eigenvector 4 / 11  
Sorry, I'm going to clash with taman121, but I like your introduction. It's simple, frank, and honest, and then is well developed. I like the essay as a whole, but I felt like the comment about your connection with a Nigerian village was a bit random. It has the potential to add something, but it's kind of an orphaned sentence at the moment.

Good luck!

Small world, two local drum majors at rival schools from the same country applying to similar schools. :)

Home / Undergraduate / Penn "I love solving problems"