Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

FU essay - people could just let their lives fall to piece

Invidious 2 / -  
My junior year of high school was a difficult time for me. I found very little hope for my future. My earlier high school years were spent working at the pace that was expected of me by my teachers. I always worked hard, but rarely ever did my best. I suppose I had been hoping that something would come along to give my life a purpose. When I became a junior, it seemed as though there was no reason to life and it felt like I was never going to find something to look forward to. I was naturally "gifted," as some of my teachers said but I "lacked motivation." I fell into a deep depression and eventually was admitted into a hospital for two weeks because of the concerns for my mental health. At this hospital, I found others who were in the same circumstances as me. Writing this essay is like reliving it all over again; my self-destructive nature, my apathetic view on life, everything that was leading me towards a very pathetic future. Growing up, when I would see someone who was lost in life, I always wondered how it was that people could just let their lives fall to pieces. By the time I was admitted into this hospital, I finally understood.

Fortunately for me, I am now on my way to finding a purpose. I refuse to let my life be something undesirable. I will rise to the occasion; I will make the best out of my life if I have to die trying. Every day at this hospital was another step towards realizing what I had to do. The price I had to pay for this realization, however, is that I had to drop out of my second semester. But I still have the opportunity to make up for it. I have reached an understanding now of what it takes to be successful in life. Before my junior year, I held back when doing anything in case I tried and failed. I see now that the only way to go the distance is to give everything you have. If you try and fail, then you try something else. If you try and succeed, then you can say you've met your goal. It isn't like my problems have all gone away, but I now have the resolve to stand and face them, rather than let them over take me. If I want something I'm going to reach out and grab it.

Going into college I feel that this knowledge is important. I have heard "horror stories" about college students getting in over their heads when they go to college. I will not be one of these stories. I feel that with my past experiences if there is something I need to do I will accomplish it. The problem with experience is that unless you yourself have experienced something, you can't understand it. All the knowledgeable people in the world speaking to you won't make a difference. I will draw on my past experiences to form a better future for myself. There is no challenge that I can not meet.

(I appologize for making this difficult earlier)

Home / Undergraduate / FU essay - people could just let their lives fall to piece