"people are more similar than different" - Whitman: diversity in DC

garfunkel129 5 / 18  
Whitman College is committed to building and sustaining a diverse campus community. We believe a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives enriches our community and enhances intellectual and personal growth. What is your concept of diversity, and what experiences have you had that inform your thoughts? (350 words max.)

Thoughts? Comments? Critiques? Please share, and don't be afraid to be harsh. I'll gladly return the favor. Thanks =)

I would like to say that I grew up with diversity and that my neighborhood is as varied as a jar of jellybeans. However, my neighborhood is not diverse in the usual sense of the word. Most of us are white, Christian, and relatively well off, which is to be expected in a suburb of a large city like Seattle. The truth is I have not experienced much diversity in my life. Recently, though, my AP Government class and I visited Washington D.C. for a week, where we got to meet students all corners of America.

Because my family does not travel very often, the journey to Washington D.C. tickled me pink. I would finally see a deciduous forest and world-renowned monuments. The only thing I that disconcerted me was meeting the other students, from Wyoming, Georgia, Texas, California, Utah, and even Panama. As a fairly timid person, I worried that I would not be able to connect with them, especially since they hailed from elsewhere.

In many ways, we were all very similar. However, we were also noticeably diverse. In smaller groups, we discussed the history and politics of different issues or of the monuments and museums we had seen earlier that day. Usually, this would lead to debate. With many issues, there were conflicting morals and contrasting philosophies that would hinder universal agreement.

At the end of the week, everyone let loose at a dance in the hotel. It was especially interesting to see who would dance the most during which songs. The Wyoming girls flipped each other around at rapid speeds during the country songs. The Georgia kids looked like stunning music video dancers during the hip-hop songs. All of us, however, danced.

So what do I know about diversity? Very little. In my experience, I have found that we as people tend to be more similar than they are different; we all have a home, we all care about something, and we all dance. This may or may not be a naïve idea. But, as always, I'm willing and eager to learn more.
Yoghurtlovely 1 / 8  
The truth is I have not experienced much diversity in my life. Recently, though, my AP Government class and I visited Washington D.C. for a week, where we got to meet students all corners of America.

...in my life, but recently, my Ap Government class...

In many ways, we were all very simila, but at the same time, we were also noticeably diverse. In smaller groups, we discussed the history and politics of different issues or of the monuments and museums we had seen earlier that day. Usually, this would lead to debate. With many issues, there were conflicting morals and contrasting philosophies that would hinder universal agreement.

Why not talk mroe about personality differences and similarities? Did you have similar values? What kind of hidnering mroals were there? These are the things I'd like to hear more about! Briefly describe what you did, but elaborate on what you discovered.
Your first paragraph confused me!! I misunderstood what you meant. You would like to say, but you cannot, because it was not diverse... now I get it!

I would like to say that I grew up with diversity and that my neighborhood was as varied as a jar of jellybeans. ------------ even though it still is your neighborhood, we change it to "was" because the sentence sounds so much nicer.

But in order to avoid confusing people, add this:

I would like to say that I grew up with diversity and that my neighborhood was as varied as a jar of jellybeans. However, I cannot, because my neighborhood is not diverse in the usual sense of the word.

Also...
Most of us are Caucasian, Christian, and __________ (how about a completely different ending for this sentence). The truth is I have...

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "people are more similar than different" - Whitman: diversity in DC