Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Pepperdine Supp- "How are you prepared to contribute? (positive impact of me)"

MichaelPerezzz 1 / -  
Any honest feedback, help, criticism, guidance, etc. is welcome. I really want to go to Pepperdine and appreciate your help in improving my essay! I dont feel very strongly about this essay (the end in particular). I will return the favor, I promise!

Please respond to the following question (500 words or less):
Pepperdine University is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership. How are you prepared to contribute to Pepperdine's mission and community of faith, learning, and service?

"Be grateful because no matter how bad you think you have it, there will always be someone out there who is worse off and who would love to be in your shoes." These are the words, though translated, that my mother has supplied me with countless times over the course of my life. Whenever I feel the urge to complain about something, these same words replay in my mind to remind me that I really have nothing to complain about. As I sit on my comfortable chair in the warmth of my apartment home and look out the foggy window to see the drops of rain rush down from the nighttime sky, I know that, at this very moment, there is an unfortunate human out there who struggles to find a dry place to sleep in and a way to keep from shivering. While someone out there has bigger problems to worry about, I only have to worry about things such as applying to college. I acknowledge that I am in a fortunate position and because of that, I believe it is my duty to give back to those who are not.

The act of being grateful and giving back has become a big part of who I am today. I have come to realize that offering help to those who are less fortunate does not always mean that I must go out of my way. Simple acts such as donating unused clothes or handing over extra change to a needy person while treating him/her with dignity allow me this. Recently, I have had the privilege of tutoring Robert, an "at-risk" juvenile. I helped him with homework assignments and got to know about him and his struggles with family and ADHD. I was able to step into the shoes of a mentor as I tried to show him the importance of education and having goals. My experience with helping others helps fill my life with purpose, a sense of righteousness, and serves as a reminder of how grateful I should be for where I am today.

I know I am capable of making a positive impact in the Pepperdine community by bringing to the table a positive energy that is contagious and propels myself and those around me to stay focused on their goals and the well-being of others. Random acts of kindness towards others create lasting bonds which lead to a unified community with the shared goal of moving forward. By keeping my mother's words in mind, I plan to be the one to jump-start this trend.

Home / Undergraduate / Pepperdine Supp- "How are you prepared to contribute? (positive impact of me)"