'this person has saved my life' - ApplyTexas Topic A

n_3194 1 / -  
Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

All feedback is appreciated.

Sometimes we come across a person who changes our whole perspective of life for the better. Whether it is a relative, a close friend, or a fictional character, this person can change our entire outlook on life. For me, this inspiring individual has made me realize who I truly am, has encouraged me to pursue my lifelong ambition, and has taught me how to be more optimistic. In essence, this person has saved my life.

Glee is a comedy-drama that focuses on a group of misfit teenagers in a high school glee club. Kurt Hummel, who is played by Chris Colfer, is a member of the glee club. Despite being an anxious teenager, he projects a very confident persona. His storylines on the show include being routinely bullied, his struggle with his sexual identity, and his romantic feelings for a heterosexual. It is undeniable that Kurt's battles can be considered taboo to most people. Homosexuality is a topic that is rarely discussed on any television. Glee pushes these boundaries and delves into the problems that homosexual teenagers are facing in our society.

I realized I was gay in the eighth grade. Since then, I had trouble identifying myself. My loneliness and confusion with my sexual orientation overpowered everything in my life. I couldn't fathom a conclusion as to why I like guys, but I did. It was miserable knowing that I couldn't talk to anyone about it without the risk of being ridiculed. I would ask myself repeatedly if these feelings were normal. There came a time where I felt like I had no purpose of living. This all changed whenever I met Kurt. His positive outlook on life, despite all of his conflicts, has made me truly realize that it does get better. The optimism he portrays on the show inspires me to know that being gay is not a hindrance. He has given me the capability to know that I can achieve my lifelong dreams.

I am grateful to have someone like Kurt on television. The full impact he has made on my life is indescribable. As a result of his actions, I am no longer scared of who I am. He has made me aware of whom I truly am. I cherish all that he has given me. The confidence I now possess after overcoming my depression, the way he taught me how to maintain a composed character, the way he could profoundly relate to my problems, all of this and much more, I will never take for granted.
Dear n_3194,
I was very impressed with your essay and the way you have presented it. It flows very well from the second para. Lovely... I must say. I only feel that your introductory para does not catch up with the high standard you show in the rest of your essay. I have a few suggestions for you, but I stress again that your writing is superb.

Sometimes we come across a person who changes our whole perspective of life for the better. Whether it is a relative, a close friend,this person is real or a fictional character, this person can influence us to change ( i feel the change happens with you when this person influences you to change) our entire outlook on life. For me, this inspiring individual has made me realize who I truly am, has encouraged me to pursue my lifelong ambition, and has taughtwhile teaching me how to be morethe importance of being optimistic.

In essence, this person has saved my life ... beautiful

Home / Undergraduate / 'this person has saved my life' - ApplyTexas Topic A