Pharmacy is not a career field I became interested in by watching television ; PS

cesarlil 1 / -  
Personal Statement: Please write an essay not longer than the page provided (single-spaced, typewritten)
about your choice of pharmacy as a career goal. How did you research the field? How did you acquaint
yourself with professional issues? Information about your background, career goals, and understanding of
the Cooperative Pharmacy Program's mission will help the Admissions Committee in evaluating your
application. You should use this essay to bring to the attention of the Committee any particular
circumstances or experiences which you consider relevant to your application

From a respected college professor to a prominent news anchor, from an adroit criminal investigator to a famous soap opera actor, and from a perfectionist architect to a knowledgeable pharmacist, I have been plagued with ample ideas of what profession I should pursue. In reality, it has been television the source of those ideas. I enjoyed imitating the announcers on the news and the actors that appeared on the telenovelas that my mother tends to watch. I admired the abilities of the detectives from the TV show "Law and Order" and those of the medics from "House". With certainty I acknowledge that television had influenced my decision as to what my occupation should be. Nevertheless, experience and hands-on activities have now majorly assisted me in determining that decision, a reason why I'm grateful for the opportunities I receive currently from my school and its district.

Pharmacy is not a career field I became interested in by watching television; my interest in pharmacy grew as soon as I began to research the field before even applying to the pharmacology course of the health magnet program at my school. In many cases it's common for entering freshmen to a college or university to choose a major in a career field without even knowing anything about it. How do they know they will actually enjoy that field then? Some experience and research is thus necessary to establish a solid and firm decision regarding their collegiate education. For that reason, I'm gladly thankful to come across with grand opportunities at my school that enable students to explore various career paths, especially those in the health field. Opportunities come and go, and they can't be denied. Right after learning about my chance in enrolling in the pharmacy course, I soon began assembling all parts of my application. Successful I was; with brilliant grades and exceptional recommendations, I became one of the few students selected to join the pharmacy program.

Becoming one more participant of my school's pharmacy program is the first step towards the profession that today I feel I will most likely pursue. Evidently, though, there's a long journey ahead of me. Nevertheless, the three months I have been in the pharmacy program have allowed me to achieve with more certainty the conviction that pharmacy is indeed a vocation I will utterly benefit from. The program's curriculum encloses a full course called "Kaduceus", a hands-on career training developed for obtaining a pharmacy technician certification. Though my ultimate goal is to succeed in attaining a doctor of pharmacy, being a pharmacy technician first would aid me to continue investigating this career in a much deeper level. The program also permits me to work and study in an actual setting involving pharmacy professionals and technicians. The past month I have been training at one Walgreens, and there I have been able to familiarize myself with the tasks and regulations of a retail pharmacy. Although I'm barely learning, I already have a vision of myself as a compassionate professional pharmacist, working for the community's welfare.

A pharmacist is a knowledgeable and proficient health care professional that presents a strong work ethic by being careful, detail-oriented and dedicated problem-solvers. Pharmacists demonstrate confidence, leadership, and compassion. Simply liking or being "good" at math or chemistry is not what in the end determines if pharmacy is a profession that fits you. Being able to communicate well and possess most of the characteristics already mentioned better define it. The Cooperative Pharmacy Program at UTEP and UT Austin is another opportunity I can't allow to go. I believe I am well prepared to join the program because I have a strong work ethic that has let me be at the top of my class and attain the achievements I have obtained. As a humble but assertive person, I am committed to give the best of my abilities to reach my goal of becoming a successful and competent pharmacist and serving El Paso and the large Hispanic community that I grew up with.

Home / Undergraduate / Pharmacy is not a career field I became interested in by watching television ; PS