"0-6 pharmacy program" - MCPHS Supplement- Why Pharmacy

islek 3 / 5  
Greetings:) Please read my essay. Can you tell me what it says about me?

Please submit a brief 250-word essay discussing your reasons for choosing the specific health care career you wish to pursue and why you are applying to MCPHS.

Two summers ago, I volunteered with the American Redcross at a hospital. Through this experience, I explored many different healthcare careers and began considering one myself. After seeing many critically ill patients suffer in the hospital and then helplessly watching my grandpa weaken from his battle against brain cancer months later, I finally discovered what I wanted to do.

I want to pursue a career in pharmacy. I want to help provide relief for people like those I saw at the hospital. I want to prolong lives of cancer patients like my grandpa. I want to help prevent suffering of the ill, injured, and disabled. Pharmacy will allow me to do that. Although patients may have different health problems, at some point, they will all need medications.

I chose to apply to MCPHS because of the 0-6 pharmacy program. I was excited to learn that I could enter a pharmacy program directly from high school and finish within six years. I also like the fact that MCPHS is a small, private college, yet it is recognized for its long history of excellence. The classes are also small enough for personal attention from professors and academic support centers are offered for students if needed. Moreover, MCPHS is unique; it is focused solely on healthcare professions, enabling students to interact with others who share similar goals and interests. Everything I envisioned in a college experience exists at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
Adrian396 1 / 4  
I like it. I think that It aptly addresses both why you are interested in MCPHS and more importantly the occupation of pharmacy in general, complete with personal examples as well.

Though consider expanding some abrupt sentences sprinkled throughout the essay. "Pharmacy will allow me to do that" for example.
OP islek 3 / 5  
Thank you:)
I think you should combine the first 2 paragraphs but then cut some words out of each to make the single, merged paragraph a little shorter:

...discovered what I wanted to do: pursue a career in pharmacy. I want to help provide relief for people like those I saw at the hospital. I want to prolong lives of cancer patients like my grandpa. I want to help prevent suffering of the ill, injured, and disabled. Pharmacy will allow me to do that. Although patients may have different health problems, at some point, they will all need medications. (and here at the end of the para I want to challenge you to give a better explanation. The fact that they will need medicine is not what makes your role as a pharmacist significant. Your work will be significant if you do an extraordinary job, better than other pharmacists, and make it so that individuals' experiences will be better because of having interacted with someone as inspired as you.)

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "0-6 pharmacy program" - MCPHS Supplement- Why Pharmacy