From Philippines to America, a humble and hard working family - Rutgers Essay

dechavez005 1 / -  
Rutgers: Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment? Consider variables such as your talents, travels, leadership, activities, volunteer services, and cultural experiences.

The world is comprised of an immeasurable amount of diverse culture, people, and ideas. Rutgers seem to be a miniature model of our world. Rutgers' diverse community, excellent education, and social and academic opportunities would further prepare me for the real world. I hope to learn, experience, and create a network at Rutgers and in turn share my experiences, ideas, and culture.

I come from a humble and hard working family. My parents brought my family to America from our homeland, Philippines, in hopes to find opportunities to improve our lives. As an immigrant from the Philippines, I understand how important it is to be able to adjust to different cultures. I recall having a hard time adjusting in kindergarten after recently moving from the Philippines, where I was raised for the first five years of my life. At the time I only knew Filipino customs, and my native language, Tagalog. Taking ESL classes helped better my understanding of English and American culture.

Throughout my life, I've met ___________ people, and visited ______________ places. Every other year, I return to the Philippines to visit my relatives. Every time I visit, I have to adjust because I become so accustomed to the American culture. Inversely, when I leave to return to America, the customs I've been used to in the Philippines stay with me.
Rutgers seems to be a miniature model of our world.---Nice sentence!

I hope to learn, experience, and create a network at Rutgers and in turn, share my experiences, ideas, and culture.

My parents brought our family to America from our homeland, the Philippines, in hopes of finding opportunities to improve our lives.

Every time I visit, I have to readjust because I've become so accustomed to the American culture.

Your essay is coming along fine, but maybe you should write one more sentence at the end, about how you will share your heritage, adding more color to the tapestry of Rutgers...something like that. Good luck in school and have fun!

Home / Undergraduate / From Philippines to America, a humble and hard working family - Rutgers Essay