"Philosophy, Politics, and Economy" - University of Penn Supplement Essay

TarekAl 2 / 3  
Essay Topic:
Considering both the specific undergraduate school or program to which you are applying and the broader University of Pennsylvania community, what academic, research, and/or extracurricular paths do you see yourself exploring at Penn?

Essay:
During the course of my life, I've lived in small communities and been watched over by my parents and elders. The thought of moving all the way back to the US alone to continue my studies invigorates and slightly frightens me. When I looked at everything Penn had to offer ranging from courses to the warm and friendly community, the cold feeling in my gut began to thaw and I began to feel a sense of belonging.

"Philosophy, Politics, and Economy" is what I aim to enroll in. I've always had a love for philosophy, but was afraid that my pursuit for Economics and Business Studies would disable me from learning more about other topics that interested me equally. To see that not only economics, but philosophy and politics were offered in this course alongside many other subjects such as some Law and Biology greatly motivated me. "Management" also seems like a perfect course. Though it would mean sacrificing other subjects and topics I'm interested in, this course has everything I want and need for my future. If accepted, I would undoubtedly major in either the PPE, or Management courses (or both if possible).

When I first looked over "A World of Activities", I immediately took out my highlighter, and with a feeling of pleasure began to highlight anything from the list that remotely interested me. Honestly, it was difficult not to highlight every other activity. After finalizing my list to what suited and satisfied me best, I came up with a handful of activities I knew I would join the moment I entered Penn's campus.

I would like nothing more than to incorporate my life experiences into the activities offered at Penn, and the thought of meeting people with both similar and opposite views leaves me with a sense of anticipation. I'd participate in all international market, affairs, and relation activities that Penn has to offer. MUN has been a passion of mine ever since ninth grade, so when I saw the ILMUNC, I didn't hesitate highlighting it with my 'must join' color. I've loved contributing with solutions and discussions of international affairs and problems and so I enjoyed participating in every MUN.I intend to keep that tradition for as long as I possibly can. I was also delighted to see the 'Penn Gamers' hobby since I've always had a guilty passion for gaming. I look forward to the moment the Penn Gamers club commences; I'll go and meet my fellow gamers with a big smile, and a console neatly stashed in my bag.

To be able to actually experience the invigorating and stimulating environment of Penn both inside and outside of the classrooms is quite frankly, my only dream.
Solona 1 / 4  
I'd suggest putting in some more of why you're so driven to do this. Experiences validate something but you aren't chasing that experience. I'm sure you're implying that you're chasing a dream.

For eg-you like pigs but you don't like pigs because you saw a pig. You like pigs because of their easy-going nature-they're the least demanding of all animals.

Just saying. Hope it makes sense. Implore Implore Implore!
OP TarekAl 2 / 3  
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to edit it out to incorporate more of my goals into the essay!
During the course of my life, I've lived in small communities and been watched over by my parents and elders. ---I like to cut out unnecessary words... if the reader has to read more than necessary, the reading is tedious.

The thought of moving all the way back to the US United States alone to continue my studies

I look forward to the moment the Penn Gamers Club commences; I'll go and meet my fellow gamers with ...

I like the idea of including more about your specific plan and intentions. That is what makes the reader feel confident that you have put a lot of thought into your academic and professional plan.

:-)
lizaluk12 - / 1  
In my essay I added a part about how i would like to explore something new something I had not done before but would be interested in trying out in college but otherwise well written

Home / Undergraduate / "Philosophy, Politics, and Economy" - University of Penn Supplement Essay