Philosophy, pursuit of truth and wisdom / Lehigh supp/Topic of study

ktminnieheartsa 2 / 6 2  
Any feedback is welcome! I'll take a look at your essay, so please, take a look at mine.

Prompt: If you founded your own college or university, what topic of study would you make mandatory for all students to study and why? What would be the values and priorities of your institution and why?

I would make philosophy a mandatory topic of study because it is important for students to have a certain level of skepticism so that they will question "why" and pursue knowledge. Philosophy is the pursuit of truth, and wisdom, and it also emphasizes character in ethics. I want students that enrolled in my college to take philosophy because philosophy turns knowledge learned into knowledge applied and then to wisdom. It not only teaches students not to blindly accept an idea, but also discover why and how it applies. It makes students become true scholars, and innovators of the society.

The values of my college would be to seek knowledge and seek it with others for the improvement of the community and themselves. Students would benefit by learning from others, helping other students out in the effort of seeking knowledge and therefore there would be respectful to everyone. By respecting others at all times, there will be a collegian atmosphere that enables students to approach each other without fear of disparity, rejection or no trust. This value of seeking knowledge not only for themselves but also for the betterment of others and society as a whole, brings a cohesiveness that helps students in their efforts in learning.

My college's priorities would be the students' accessibility to learn. I would do the best I could to tailor my college so that students in my college may easily access a book, staff member, or any material so that they can learn to the best of their abilities. If anything, when students left my school, I would want them to leave exclaiming, "This college made the ability to access learning material easy, and taught me well, so now I want to learn about that subject even more!".
acatam 1 / 4 1  
I want students that enrolled in my college to take philosophy because philosophy turns knowledge learned into knowledge applied {and then to wisdom}. this sentence is a bit awkward, why not expand on the last bit and make it a separate sentence?

Students would benefit by learning from others, helping other students out in the effort of seeking knowledge {and therefore there would be respectful to everyone.} weird wording

I would want them to leave exclaiming, "This college made the ability to access learning material easy, and taught me well, so now I want to learn about that subject even more! I like your idea for the last sentence, but do people really talk like that?

Try to make more like 1 essay instead of 3 different paragraphs. Try merging the questions of your prompt into 1 single umbrella question and then answer it with your 3 points
OP ktminnieheartsa 2 / 6 2  
Thanks! your advice helps a lot! and yea, i knew that the whole i want students that leave to exclaim part was a bit extreme, but i wasn't quite sure how to approach it. make it more natural? and does this sound better? :because philosophy turns knowledge learned into knowledge applied. It turns knowledge learned and applied into wisdom

Home / Undergraduate / Philosophy, pursuit of truth and wisdom / Lehigh supp/Topic of study