'a phone call from my BRACE advisor' - University of Florida Undergrad - Leadership

smithchaz 1 / 1  
Thank you in advance for reading my essay. I wil be sure to critique some essays as well.

In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

I was sitting in my AP Chemistry class when I received a phone call from my BRACE advisor. "Chaz, Mrs. Joyce wants to see you in her office." I grudgingly left the class, angry that I was going to miss some of the lecture. However, little did I know, the BRACE advisor was about to offer me a nomination to one of the most important camps I would have ever attended, the Freedoms Foundation Leadership Conference. This life-altering event lasted four days and was held at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. In order to qualify for the conference, I had to submit a resume, and pass through an interview. Thankfully, I received the magical acceptance letter. At the time, I knew that I was going to learn some very valuable leadership skills, but I was completely unaware that it would cause me to introspect, and I would learn very important aspects of my personality that would help me excel in life and in UF.

While learning leadership skills, the counselors felt that it was imperative that we learn proper teamwork skills as well. One of the teamwork building activities involved using miscellaneous items to create a product. Even though we were a group of five kids with a plethora of ideas, we had to collaborate to create the best project. After one hour of bickering as well as resolving, we obtained our finished product. I was extremely proud of our work, and was even more ebullient when we won 2nd place. By completing this activity, I learned how to amiably convey ideas across a group of students who all have conflicting ideas. I saw that instead of trying to push one's own ideas forth, we should listen to everybody's ideas, so that our finished outcome will be unsurpassed.

At University of Florida, I will be able to utilize this skill in an innumerable amount of ways. For example, I will join many clubs and activities at UF, including table tennis, Indian cultural dance, academic clubs, and participating in research opportunities. Within these clubs and activities, I will no doubt encounter instances in which I must utilize the skills I learned at Freedoms Foundation Leadership Conference. Teamwork will enable our club to reach goals in an efficient and timely method. Since we are able to combine many different skills from many different people, we could achieve many things that couldn't have been done alone. This will enhance our club, and therefore UF.
sarahadams 11 / 22  
Try to not use " i " that much and it's not great to use I in the beginning . Instead of saying "I was sitting in my AP Chemistry class when I received a phone call from..." let's say " when setting in myAP chemistry class I recevied a call from my advicer informing me to go to the office" that's betterthen useing I at the beginning . Over all great essay

Home / Undergraduate / 'a phone call from my BRACE advisor' - University of Florida Undergrad - Leadership