Photography Job: School of Visual Arts Application Essay

aries64xx 1 / 5  
In 500 words or less, discuss your reasons for pursuing undergraduate study in the visual arts. Feel free to include any information about yourself, your goals and interests that may not be immediately apparent from the review of your transcripts or portfolio.

Reasons for Pursing the Visual Arts

I became aware I was interested in photography when I was younger and went outside one day to photograph the trees in my backyard. Ever since that day, I have been very motivated about my hobby. I started to teach myself the basics of photography to the best of my ability.

I used internet search functions, read magazines and books about photography. The photos I saw in the magazines I have looked at have influenced me greatly in a way that I try to mimic the images I see. Not to claim it as my own idea, but to try to learn new techniques. These techniques I learned have helped me greatly in making my own opinion of the photos I have taken get better.

...
theAbraham 3 / 16  
You only begin to answer the prompt's question at the end of your essay; the rest of the time is spent talking about how you've learned photography and progressed as a photographer. The prompt is asking for more abstract things: why you want to study the visual arts, what your future goals are, and what you're interests are. You've only answered how you've learned photography and what you've accomplished so far.

You should elaborate your beliefs on the importance of photography, and perhaps explain it's purpose. Plus, since it's asking why you want to study as an undergrad, you could tell the reader that self-education (what you've described) has it's limits: you want to be able to work with peers and professors who can push your skills even further.

I left any grammar checking out because I feel you may need to make some major revisions before you submit the essay. I hope this helps, good luck!
OP aries64xx 1 / 5  
Thank you, I'll start working on that now.
OP aries64xx 1 / 5  
Photography Job: School of Visual Arts Application Essay - Revised

Prompt: In 500 words or less, discuss your reasons for pursuing undergraduate study in the visual arts. Feel free to to include any information about yourself, your goals and interests that may not be immediately apparent from the review of your transcript or portfolio.

Photography is special to me. I express myself through it and I want to make a career out of it. It has been in my life for as long as I can remember, and there is nothing I would do to change that. I became interested in photography when I was younger and went outside one day to photograph the trees in my backyard. I started to teach myself the basics of photography.

Ever since that day, I have been very motivated about my hobby. I used internet search functions, and read magazines and books about photography. The photos I saw in magazines influenced me greatly. I mimic the images I see. Not to claim it as my own idea, but to learn new techniques. These techniques have helped me greatly in becoming more confident in my own photography. I want to study the Visual Arts because I grew up around it, and it is a passion of mine. I feel as if I have reached my limits in teaching myself. I want to push my skills even further through working with my peers and professors.

I like to cook, and I want to pursue something that includes both photography and food. My hope for the future is to work for a food magazine, such as Food & Wine. I want to be able to take photos of different foods and publish them in a magazine for viewers.

The importance of photography is to show new ways of visual arts. There are several different types of photography, for example, macro images or nature. It can also be used for different purposes; such as food photography. It would be hard to draw or paint food and make it appealing to someone who is looking at the image, but a photograph can capture its essence. Photography is a form of art, and it can be used in many different ways. It can be used for therapy, to show facts, or to collect memories. Expressing yourself is important, and not everyone can express themselves verbally. Some are able to do it through drawing or painting, and others are able to through photography.

I believe that photography is another way to express yourself; another way to send a message. It can be a metaphor for many things. Photography, as well as other visual arts, means to me that you can create your own interpretation of the image that you make. Photography is a unique way of art. It can be manipulated in several different ways. As the famous quote says, "a picture is worth a thousand words."
The first paragraph does not introduce any profound ideas. It just tells the story about someone who began taking pictures as a child and practicing photography. I hope you can find one MAIN concept or message that the essay is sending to the reader, and express that message clearly in the first paragraph.

Ask yourself: What are the most important facts to tell the reader?

"I used internet search functions, and read magazines and books about photography." ---capitalize Internet. More importantly, I think you should list a few of the topics you studied instead of just referring to mags, books, and Internet searches. List the topics and what you learned!

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Photography Job: School of Visual Arts Application Essay