Photoshop/Digital Art-Commonapp Extracurricular Essay

Rennir 3 / 10  
TOPIC: Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1000 character maximum).

The process of making digital art is like designing an onion: it involves a ton of layers. In the beginning, everything looks like a mess; unappealing shapes and clashing colors fill the canvas. But as layer upon layer is added, the shapes gradually become recognizable-a mountain there, a ledge here-and the colors start mixing and blending like a beautiful symphony of music. Each layer makes a subtle adjustment to what is already there. Taken alone, it is barely noticeable, but after many, many layers of this, the result is a breathtaking product. The once chaotic canvas has turned into a masterpiece.

Learning is like making a piece of art-it may begin with just a fact or method, but with each lesson and each practice, depth and breadth are built upon that initial information; the fact starts gaining aspects and perspectives that I had never considered before. After the last layer has been added, what started off as a random, seemingly insignificant fact metamorphoses into a gem of knowledge and understanding.

General comments and criticisms are appreciated! :) But I need advice on the last two sentences of the first paragraph, starting with "...the result is a breathtaking product." I was wondering if people could suggest a more eloquent way of writing the last two sentences so it's more vivid and makes a bigger impact on the reader? Also, how are my descriptions? Do I portray the process of making art and gaining knowledge insightfully?

I'll be happy to look over your essays for you too ^^
Alikap 6 / 15  
The process of making digital art is like designing an onion
The layers thing makes sense but "designing an onion" sounds strange.

I like the last two sentences of the first paragraph; they sound cool. My only comment is you never talk about how it has an effect on you. You talk about the general process and it's obvious that you are passionate about it, but it's not personal. Good luck!
OP Rennir 3 / 10  
Yeah, I didn't how to word it better. But I kind of like the use of the word "designing" there and the parallel it draws with art, unless you have a better suggestion? And the second paragraph was supposed to be my personal connection, so I guess I should add more personal pronouns to make it seem more personal? :) Oh and which one do you want me to look at? Or does it matter?
Alikap 6 / 15  
maybe say the design of an onion? designing an onion just sounds strange because it's a vegetable you know? It doesn't really matter which one you look at, thanks
bookbug_xd 8 / 24  
Agreed; the "designing an onion" part sounds a bit strange. Maybe you can say "A work of digital art is like an onion..."

Also, please emphasize how you personally feel about this activity. There's a lot of description here, but what about your own perspective of things? Integrate yourself!

Home / Undergraduate / Photoshop/Digital Art-Commonapp Extracurricular Essay