Physician assistant narrative ("I always wanted to work in a health care field")

oayewa 1 / -  
I knew since I was young I always wanted to work in a health care field. I believe it was my calling to take care of sick people. This is why I chose a health professional career as a respiratory therapist. I have been a therapist for nearly four years. I enjoyed every aspect of being a therapist in a hospital. As a therapist, I treat people who suffer from lung illness which could derive from asthma, congestive heart failure, COPD, emphysema and etc. As a respiratory therapist, I educate people about there respiratory disease. I tell them about there disease and what they can do to improve there daily life. What I like most about being a therapist is interaction with patients. I liked getting to know the patient and see what I can do to make there day better. From assessing patient, I can determine if this person is in respiratory distress and if so what kind of distress. As a therapist, I enjoyed working with other health care professionals such as nurses, physicians, and physician assistants. I let them know I am very dependable and to notify me of any problems or concerns with their patient, not matter how little or serious it is. I believe it is best to have open communication with co-workers in order to provide excellent patient care.

At this point in my life, I believe I am ready to pursue a career as a physician assistant. I have accomplished so much as a respiratory therapist. Now it is time to take the next step. I work with physican assistant for couple of years. I wasn't interested in being a physician assistant until the day I observe the duties of physician assistant in the emergency room. I was told to give a patient a nebulizer tx (breathing treatment) by physician assistant. I went to the patient room and there was the physician assistant asking her patient several questions about his medical history. We were practically working the same time on that patient. I was giving the pt his tx. The physician assistant was assessing the pt and giving a full explanation on what is going to be done for him. At home, I looked up physician assistant on the internet. At that point, I was completely enthralled about my findings. A physician assistant performs examination and procedure, obtains medical history from pt, order treatment, diagnose illness, prescribe medication and etc. I knew I wanted to be a health care specialist who has more responsibility and more patient interaction. As a therapist, I did have patient interaction but it was very limited due to the fact I had multiple patient I had to take care of. I didn't always have time to speak with a pt for extended time. It was basically just follow the MD's order and treat the pt.

In conclusion, I have always believed it was my destiny to treat and take care of sick people. It something I will continue to do until I retired. I enjoyed being a respiratory therapist for the last three years. However, I think it is time for me to pursue a new course and challenge in the medical field. I believe I would make an excellent physician assistant due to my compassion for patient care.
celu 8 / 20  
I knew since I was young I always wanted to work in a health care field. I believebelieved it was my calling to take care of sick people. This is why I chose a health professional career as a respiratory therapist. I have been a therapist for nearly four years. I enjoyed every aspect of being a therapist in a hospital. As a therapist, I treat people who suffer from lung diseases illness which could derive from asthma, congestive heart failure, COPD, emphysema and etc. As a respiratory therapist, I educate people about theretheir respiratory disease. I tell them about theretheir disease and what they can do to improve theretheir daily life. What I like most about being a therapist is interaction with patients. I likedlike getting to know the patients and see what I can do to make theretheir days better. From assessing patients , I can determine if this person is in respiratory distress and if so what kind of distress. As a therapist, I enjoyed working with other health care professionals such as nurses, physicians, and physician assistants. I let them know I am very dependable and to notify me of any problems or concerns withabout their patient, not matter how little or serious it is. I believe it is the best to have open communication with co-workers in order to provide excellent patient care.

At this point in my life, I believe I am ready to pursue a career as a physician assistant. I have accomplished so much as a respiratory therapist. Now it is time to take the next step. I worked with physican assistant for couple of years. I wasn't interested in being a physician assistant until the day I observed the duties of physician assistant in the emergency room. I was told to give a patient a nebulizer tx (breathing treatment) by physician assistant. I went to the patient room and there was the physician assistant asking her patient several questions about his medical history. We were practically working in the same time on that patient. I was giving the pt his tx. The physician assistant was assessing the pt and giving a full explanation on what is going to be done for him. At home, I looked up for physician assistant on the internet. At that point, I was completely enthralled about my findings. A physician assistant performs examination and procedure, obtains medical history from pt, order treatment, diagnose illness, prescribe medication and etc. I knew I wanted to be a health care specialist who has more responsibility and more patient interaction. As a therapist, I did have patient interaction but it was very limited due to the fact I had multiple patient I had to take care of. I didn't always have time to speak with a pt for extended time. It was basically just follow the MD's order and treat the pt.

In conclusion, I have always believed it was my destiny to treat and take care of sick people. It something I will continue to do it until I retiredretirement . I enjoyed being a respiratory therapist for the last three years. However, I think it is time for me to pursue a new course and challenge in the medical field. I believe I would makebe an excellent physician assistant due to my compassion for patientscare.
Do not use ALWAYS and also SINCE I WAS YOUNG. Only use one of them:
I knew since I was young I always wanted to work in a health care field.

... with their patients, no matter how minor or serious it is.

I would like to put these 2 sentences together with a conjunction:
I have accomplished so much as a respiratory therapist, and now it is time to take the next step.

I work have worked with physican assistants for couple of years.

Capitalize Internet.

do not use the abbreviation. Write the word patient.

Verb tense:
It something I will continue to do until I retire.

:-) Nice job!!

Home / Undergraduate / Physician assistant narrative ("I always wanted to work in a health care field")