Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Why Physics: the basis of everything in this universe" - University of Michigan

Titi 1 / -  
Prompt:Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests?

Here is my response:

Why Physics

When Physics first comes to mind, it is pretty much the basis of everything in this universe to me. As I have long been a curious kid who is eager to figure out everything intrigued me, I found myself attracted by this course for the first time I took my Physics class in middle school. But after all, Physics serves as a basis for further understanding the world and a foundation helps develop more practical fields of knowledge, such as engineering. Following this idea, the first reason of choosing Physics of University of Michigan comes up: the Joint Program for LS&A and Engineering. Since my plan is to study engineering with a strong foundation of basic subjects, the Joint Program perfectly fits my direction. What makes me more certain about that University of Michigan is where I want to go, is that since I decided to attend college over seas, University of Michigan has become one of my "dream schools".

Besides, as a International student from a totally different world, with a well-rounded liberal arts education including varies of subjects like Social Science and History, I would be able to have a deeper understanding and further experience of real "American" education as well as to broaden my horizons and scope of knowledge. I know that would be much more work than taking engineering major directly and it would be a big challenging to my multitasking ability. But I am fully aware of this situation and fully prepared for it.

Also, other than the program itself, the academic atmosphere of University of Michigan would be another great attraction to me. The sense of innovation and "Thinking outside the box", the creative and diverse environment and the abundance of research opportunities are all advantages that University of Michigan has. Data numbers perfectly illustrate all of these: 322 inventions are reported in 2011, 11 companies were launched with technologies developed in campus labs this year, $1.24 billion of research spending this year...

The last but not the least reason for choosing University of Michigan is meeting of some UM graduate, Ms. Molly Tiernan, my previous counselor. I can tell her love of her alma mater when she explaining her college life in Michigan. The strong sense of belonging would be crucial to an International student like me. Also, her optimism and cheerfulness impressed me. Since college plays a significant role of shaper of students' characteristics, her delightful qualities should also partially due to the atmosphere of UM.

For all these reasons above, studying Physics in University of Michigan would probably the best choice of mine for my college life.

Home / Undergraduate / "Why Physics: the basis of everything in this universe" - University of Michigan