Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

UC 2:The Pictionary

ghostmay101 2 / 6  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

"A-A piece of, eh, let me guess, a piece of cake!" The old lady bursted out.
"Yes. Definitely correct!" I answered.
Sitting there, she giggled and did high-five with her friends. You may never imagine, that was a game called pictionary which I was doing my first service project in a nursing home. It's a game that the examiner get a little card with phrases and sentences on it, and he/she should draw some of the words to let them guess. Little did I do, but totally did I change.

At first, I thought I might have some difficulties of communicating because of their age and my lack of English words. But just after some interactions that we did, I find it was easy and joyful to play the unknown game. A sign of the dollar meant money, and forks and knifes meant meals. It's a game that needs to use the examiner's fantasy and the examinee's (audience's) perception and intelligence. Though I'm not good at drawing and made really weak reference, the grandmas are really good at the game and sometimes can guess from only one word in the whole sentence.

After a few draw-and-guess games, I fully loved the game and couldn't wait to my turn to do the pictionary, because after they got each phrases they would me with angelic smiles and upright thumbs. The happiness with them also lit up my heart, which made me feel satisfied and proud. I carefully looked as the other's drawing to improve mine to make sure they have better understanding. The grandmas are versed in the American idiom, like the sentence she is a peach means she is sweet and helpful. They patiently taught me the meaning of the idiom or slang, which introduced me a lot of American language culture. I also noticed that they would laugh when we made a funny picture. And they are so warmhearted that we became friends in thirty minutes.

The time flies through the happiest part. However, I found that there is no barrier of ethnic differences and gap in generation. I became more respectful to the elders and more receptive to the people I met.

It's not only a two-hour service project, but also a step towards maturiy and responsibility. I originally signed up for the project only for the good look on my resume to college. But after I experiencing it, it was totally different from what I thought-boring, time-waste and energy-waste, it's for the good of the community rather than my own self's benefits. I found that I'm not an egoist who ignores others' feeling any more. I know, continuing my life in college, that I will fulfill every project and will always be careful and joyful.

plz give me opinions ASAP, thx. The deadline for UC is only one day left!!!

Home / Undergraduate / UC 2:The Pictionary