"We need more pies!" - University of Michigan Supplement #1

sgupta654 3 / 3  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

"We need more pies!" The "pie-cutter" leader at our table had demanded. We had just run out pies to cut, but there were many more food boxes to fill. It was the perennial Equinox Thanksgiving Food Bank, an event where multiple organizations join together to provide service for the less fortunate. I was present, just like I had been in the past two years, among the crowd of "pie-cutters", thinking about people around me. It was the night before Thanksgiving, which meant that there was no school next day. Yet, as I looked around, everyone seemed to be vivacious and content about spending their night in this manner. We were not forced; instead, it was all based on our interest. This is how I'm defined; my dedication to community service is a large part of my identity.

For me, community service is not a task; instead, it is a hobby. When I walk onto a service project, it's a relief to know that I am working with people who are welcoming and share the same interests as me. We work to give the fortune that we possess in our lives to the people who are in need of it.

Most people think that people waste of time in community service because it is just giving and not receiving, but it's more than that. It's about learning. I learn to be more mature and more accepting about my community. We learn to be better initiators through the values of community service.
himanshusahay 3 / 24  
'People waste of time' in last para should be 'people waste time'

Home / Undergraduate / "We need more pies!" - University of Michigan Supplement #1