Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"DC is the place to be"- Why GW? Essay

glamport 3 / 3  
Attach an essay of no more than 500 words indicating what most influenced you to apply to The George Washington University (required of all applicants).

Choosing what school I want to attend has been anything but easy. There are many factors that must go into my decision such as the school's city, campus, and academics. It is difficult to find one institution that fulfills all my desires in these aspects. I feel that the quality of academic and social opportunities furnished is one of the most important things to evaluate when choosing a college. Fortunately, I have discovered George Washington University and I feel as though I need not look further.

My aspiration to attend GW extends further than just because it has my major and is in D.C. Predominantly, I love the atmosphere in the city; it is modern yet has ample history. Not only is George Washington University located in D.C, it is integrated into DC two things that must not be confused. GW is not off on some hill, or in a suburb, but is directly in the city only blocks from the heart. I cannot wait to be studying within miles of the White House, right in the center of the most powerful city in the world, where history is made everyday. It is the academic setting a student with my interests' dreams of.

I especially admire how extensively GW employs DC's resources. Many other schools offer agreeable academic programs but none can deliver what GW does for its students. I enjoy many aspects of the political world, and only George Washington would allow me to explore various possibilities to find my professional niche. The school uses its proximity to everything to hire amazing professors, place students in internships, bring in guest speakers, and host events. Not setting specific geographic boundaries for its campus, allows GWU to utilize the entirety of DC as an educational experience giving students the excitement of having world leaders at their fingertips. This is the kind of school I see myself attending.

In addition to the wonderful location and use of resources, I am impressed by The Elliot School of International Affairs. Superb courses offered such as Politics of Peace Agreements and The Arab-Israeli Conflict, hugely grab my attention. I thrive when I am challenged, but not when I am struggling; for this reason I have every confidence this school will be a perfect fit. The rigor of the academics seems demanding but not suffocating, a perfect balance. It would be an honor to join notable alumni such as General Colin Powell and Senator Harry Reid in calling George Washington University home.

Home / Undergraduate / "DC is the place to be"- Why GW? Essay