We often place unrealistic expectations on celebrities or politicians.

tictok 1 / -  
Prompt: The discovery that someone we admire has done something wrong is always disappointing and disillusioning. Yet even when people we consider heroes have been tarnished by their faults, they are no less valuable than people who appear perfect. When we learn that an admired person, even one who is seemingly perfect, has behaved in less than admirable ways, we discover a complex truth: great ideas and great deed come from imperfect people like ourselves.

Assignment: Do we benefit from learning about the flaws of people we admire and respect?

We often place unrealistic expectations on celebrities or politicians. When those we look up to stumble or fall, it often brings strong emotion; whether or not that emotion is severe disappointment or relief. Mere humans are held up on pedestals that the rest of us, whether sub-consciously or consciously, recognize that they can never sustain.

Those who are often in the limelight, or seem to have it all together are those that we idolize. We put them in a totally different category from our peers, we look to them for guidance, for what to wear, where to invest, which political candidate to vote for; but why? In our minds if they have made it that far, have achieved "success" then they must have everything figured out. We don't always recognize their weaknesses before they fall.

When we don't see their faults and weaknesses we run the risk of holding them to such an unattainable standard that we setting ourselves up for disappointment. We want there to be someone that we can always look to as an example, someone who will never fail us. But the truth is that every person we have any type of relationship with, in whom we place any kind of trust can and will fail us. Whether it's today, tomorrow, or not for ten years, it will happen.

Recognizing their faults and weaknesses can be of great benefit to us. Learning from the mistakes of others is a very valuable trait to have. Not relying on our own experiences but being observant when others do fail. Learning, growing, and reaping the benefits of wisdom.

Having people we looking up to and respect is a good thing. But we need to be aware of their human weaknesses. Realizing that they have just as many if not more issues than we do; letting the truth sink in that we can all learn from each other. Not seeing someone's struggles or hardships is detrimental to them in trying to uphold that perfect image as well as to us in the feelings of inferiority. Seeing someone we look up to make it through a struggle helps us see that they are human as well as give us a feeling of hope when we think about our own struggles.

This essay was written in preparation for the College Composition CLEP test on a thirty minute timer. I would appreciate any and all constructive criticism and encouragement.
In our minds, if they have made it that far, have achieved "success", then they must have everything figured out.

When we don't see their faults and weaknesses, we run the risk of holding them to such an unattainable standard that we setting ourselves up for disappointment.

...relationship with, in whom we place any kind of trust, can and will fail us.

Having people we can looking up to and respect is a good thing.

Realizing that they have just as many if not more issues than we do is letting the truth sink in that we can all learn from each other.

You're an excellent writer! Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / We often place unrealistic expectations on celebrities or politicians.