A plan to pursue academic interests at USC, address your first and second-choice major selections

ch15hann 6 / 11 3  
Describe how you plan to pursue your academic interests at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections. (250-word limit)

(Here is my essay below. PLEASE DO NOT COPY)

my own art style

For 12 years, I kept pushing myself to find my own art style. The frustration of disliking what I've drawn and the inability to create something original was destroying me. I wanted to be better than my age and my strive for achievement never ceased.

I figured my frustration problem was due to my lack of interaction with the world around me. My inspiration was limited since I only grew up with only knowing the Asian and Bay Area culture. But after taking a trip south to a part of Los Angeles, I was immediately entangled in the immense variety of culture just within a small city. There, I discovered USC, a university with the advantage of absorbing the different traditions around them. Because of how USC is situated at the heart of Los Angeles, I knew I could find my style within this university. Even though my interest leans towards illustration, design is a major influence in my creations." (160 words)

So I researched already and there really isn't much info helping me talk about why USC for their roski art and design program. I am not sure if I am going in the right direction or not, because I feel like I am not explaining enough why on my prompt. PLEASE HELP. this is actually one of the schools I want to get in to.
nisapk20 - / 2 1  
Hi Hannah,
I think your essay above did not answer the required prompt. Maybe you can start with doing some careful research about the programme you are applying to and reading carefully about their programme structure (I hope it is available in the website). I think if you have understand the programme's content, it would be easier for you to answer the question for why you want to study in the USC in the first place.

Another comment for your opening sentence, It is better to paraphrase the sentence so that it did not contains any negative sentiments (i.e : The frustration of disliking what ...)

And trying to maximise the world limit up to 250 words and make sure you already put all your ideas in. Good luck! :)
Hannah, the essay is off to an interesting start. The fact that you are facing frustrations with regards to your art career means you will be a dedicated student at USC. However, you have not been able to follow through on that frustrated excitement in the succeeding essay parts. I would have kicked off this essay by saying something like:

12 years... That's how long I have been trying to make a go of my career as an artist. I've been frustrated all of this time because my creativity has been stifled by various obstacles in the face of my talent development. Obstacles like... sometimes push me to the brink of quitting. That is, until I heard about the USC xxx program. Then my frustration was replaced with joy because the (begin the discussion of art facilities, programs, and other related information in relation to your artistic inclinations)...

For every specific university offering, describe how that will help you pursue your academic goal or professional skill. That is what the essay is asking you highlight, but you have to make it exciting. If you can relate it to both a personal and professional development on your part, all the better.

Home / Undergraduate / A plan to pursue academic interests at USC, address your first and second-choice major selections