"Plant Science" - Being a tree hugger part II. Cornell CALS paper

Jctherdythree 2 / 4  
Tell us what you'd like to major in at Cornell and why, how your past academic or work experience influenced your decision, and how transferring

to Cornell would further your academic interests.

"Voulez vous un peu de cherry", Roosevelt yells across the yard while shaking the branches of a cherry tree. "Oui, merici" I reply, while he hands me the orange fruits overflowing in a hand woven basket. These are not the cherries I am familiar with, but they are exquisite. In fact, everything in Lazil is exquisite. In Haiti, families like Roosevelt's have limited resources, but life is simple. Obesity and stress are not rampant in this village given that everything is built from the land. The village people and the plants have a symbiotic relationship. Amazingly, the simple Haitian lifestyle, just living off the land, is purity at its best, which I strive to understand.

My curiosity has grown stronger since I have returned to New York. Just a few weeks in Haiti, opened my eyes to many flaws in our everyday routine. The most frustrating issue I have with society is the disregard for our environment. Careless everyday actions, such as ****, all add up and contribute to our shortage of resources which ultimately hinders our basic essentials of shelter, food and water. With this realization, I decided to restructure my lifestyle, beginning with my relationship with plants.

The summer of 2010 was spent uprooting weeds, planting seeds and tending to plants at the New York Botanical Garden(NYBG). The first day as an NYBG intern, I quickly realized where I wanted to spend my time; on the field, not behind a desk. Everyday ended with dirty hands and knees and it felt incredible. The most mind-boggling question for all undergraduates, what major to choose, was finally resolved. The decision was made; Plant science. Immediately after this realization, Cornell's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences captured my attention. Cornell's unique outlook on education is refreshing. The vision of the college meets my expectations of what higher learning truly is. Core values such as 'free and open exchange of ideas' excites me with hope for an open minded classroom swarming with curious minds. College has provided me with a new slate, a chance to make up for my poor academic commitment through high school, and has helped me realized my full potential. Although, College has truly been an intellectual awakening, I am not presented with opportunities involving my field of choice at my current college. Currently, I hold a leadership position as president of the Honors College, which is academically stimulating, but not as challenging as I desire from an institution of higher leader. Yearning to ask questions and explore the science of plant life, I find myself in the wrong environment. At Cornell University, the competitive attitude of the students will keep me motivated and active.

Focusing on Plant Science at Cornell will prepare me for a new lifestyle and relationship with my environment. With the knowledge gained, the main objective will be to help others to grasp the importance of sustainability of the environment.

The central lesson from college is that choosing a major should not be purely based on money. Students should engage in their education and explore all opportunities. Plant science will be more than a career choice to me, it will be my opportunity to improve individuals' connections with the environment, which will grow rapid like a cherry tree.
NRDf8828 1 / 1  
its interesting how you incooperated Haiti into your essay...
nice job.
Paullee 3 / 7  
It is indeed a strong essay.
Though, I think you should talk more about Cornell
and some reasons why you want to transfer to Cornell.

Wish you good luck
PL
OP Jctherdythree 2 / 4  
Will do. Are there any CALS students out there with suggestions?
I like all of that intro... very well written!

Here is a place where you have some extra words:
My curiosity has grown stronger since I have grew stronger when I returned to New York. ---I know this changes the meaning somewhat, but check out how strongly it impacts the reader's mind.

Here is another example of a place you can add some brevity:
Just a few My weeks in Haiti (no comma necessary) opened ...
My weeks in Haiti opened...

This is the passive voice:
The summer of 2010 was spent

I spent the summer of 2010 uprooting weeds, planting seeds and

... grow rapidly like a cherry tree.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Plant Science" - Being a tree hugger part II. Cornell CALS paper