Playpuses and Scotch Tape --CalTech Prompt

EpicAzn 1 / -  
In a page, more or less, tell the Admissions Committee how you express your interest, curiosity, or excitement about math, science or engineering.

Platypuses and Scotch Tape

I like to learn about theoretical physics. And so understandably, I have spent much time familiarizing myself with physics documentaries. They are what I have grown up watching for hours upon hours, learning new theories every time; they are what I have occasionally attempted to disprove through logic and reasoning, failing every time ; and they are what I have always spent hours deciphering when I didn't understand, succeeding every time. Plainly stated, my interest in theoretical physics is harbored in and around a bunch of plausible theories, computer generated video footage, and dramatic music all put together to form a physics documentary.

When I take a seat on my slightly-inclined-and-decently-cushioned-chair in front of a documentary on theoretical physics, habitual actions take over. Preparing for the hour of mind-racking facts, I move into my "thinking position": legs crossing, back sinking into the chair, and hands coming together. All the while, I face the documentary, questioning the theories it has stated-some of which, when said, sounded like a monkey, a whale, and a platypus were taped together with scotch tape was just deemed one of nature's most elegant products of evolution. I ask: Why is it that the Theory of Quantum Mechanics and the Theory of Relativity do not coordinate; how do physicists know that a tesseract is the shadow of a fourth dimensional hypercube; and what is String Theory? And eventually I come up with an answer; The Theory of Quantum Mechanics and the Theory of Relativity cannot be put together because they are based on different mathematics and principles; the tesseract's shadow is based off of what the shadow of a three dimensional cube is when portrayed in a two dimensional plane; and String Theory is a theory that everything is composed of two dimensional vibrating strings. Eventually the documentary ends, leaving me to ponder the unanswered question that ended it: What's next?

For now though, you can find me up the stairs, two turns right, planted on my slightly-inclined-and-decently-cushioned-chair watching another documentary and skeptically doubting what the physicist is saying. Unless, of course, you find me in a nearby desk finishing my college application.

Please give me any suggestions!
I'd like any ideas on how to improve my essay.
EF_Stephen - / 264  
I have always spent hours deciphering when I didn't understand, succeeding every time.

Careful here--even Einstein didn't succeed every time.

This is a very interesting piece. Theoretical physics. What experiences have you had aside from documentaries to show that you know what it all is? Your mathematics acumen? I know it's all implied, but there should be a definitiveness about it too. How would the committee know that it's not just a whim of yours and that you talk a good game?
ebby2010 10 / 51  
I like to learn about theoretical physics.

Plainly stated, my interest in theoretical physics is harbored in and around a bunch of plausible theories, computer generated video footage, and dramatic music all put together to form a physics documentary.

^ the language could be stated a little better.

All the while, I face the documentary, questioning the theories it has stated-some of which, when said, sounded like a monkey, a whale, and a platypus were taped together with scotch tape was just deemed one of nature's most elegant products of evolution. <-- this sentence doesn't make sense to me. try checking the subject and verb. i think it kind of got lost...or maybe it's just me.

I really like this essay! it's interesting and fits the prompt very well. I enjoyed reading it.

Home / Undergraduate / Playpuses and Scotch Tape --CalTech Prompt