Poem, New Yorker, and Movie - NYU supplement

medelman2010 11 / 31  
I had such a hard time with this application, so I am happy to even have something down on paper. That said, I am not sure if these are at all ok or what they are looking for. Please be harsh- I need it! Thanks

Write a haiku, limerick, or short (eight lines or less) poem that best represents you. Characters available 500

The chill of the coffee trickles down
my throat
through to the rest of my body.
The warmth of the brown
reminds me of what I wrote
as I try to create my own melody.

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.) Characters available 500

Some of my best childhood memories stem from the evenings when, sitting on the couch with my family, we would watch the likes of You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle. To spend a day in New York with Nora Ephron would be an incredible experience. After a walk along the Upper West Side, we would head to Café Lalo for brunch. Conversation would range across a multitude of subjects from politics to men-there is so much to learn from Nora Ephron that we would have to meet up again and again.

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line. Characters available 500

"Snow, Sand, and Sunshine", stars a woman in her thirties, struggling to maintain the balance of her family life and successful career as a lawyer. Following Michal through the ups and downs of life, the movie creates a story that all families can connect with. When she represents a woman going through divorce, Michal begins to appreciate her own life. At times both funny and sad, a realistic story is painted through the lens of a thirty year old mother.
shannon92 15 / 74  
I think that you should rewrite the haiku: it really doesnt say enough about you

I like the second one, just one thing though:
that we would have to meet up again and again.
-sounds wierd: say "we would have to schedule another meeting"

family, life, and successful career as a lawyer. (add commas)
-life is all of those things though...

can you please look at mine? its called youth and government intellectual vitality.. THANKS!
OP medelman2010 11 / 31  
Thanks!

Please help edit this! I would be happy to return the favor!

Is this poem better?

I went down to Starbucks
To do my homework
I am sorry
For not telling you
But working at home
Is too distracting

You are all so loud
And so inconsiderate

I'm not sure if it gives of the wrong impression of me or not
ab12 - / 8  
Conversation would range across a multitude of subjects from politics to men-there is so much to learn from Nora Ephron that we would have to meet up again and again.

your new yorker message is good. just for that sentence, "range" kinda already states that there is a variety of subjects so i think itd be better if you said "the conversation would range fro m politics to men..."

"Snow, Sand, and Sunshine", stars a woman in her thirties, struggling to maintain the balance of her family life and successful career as a lawyer.

take away the commas after Sunshine and thirties because in the format you have right now, it sounds like youre saying "'Snow, Sand, and Sunshine' struggling to maintain..."

I don't think you need to add the commas in here like the previous poster stated

struggling to maintain the balance of her family life and successful career as a lawyer

. it depends on if you were saying "family life" or " family and life."

and i don't really like your second poem either. the prompt asks you to write a poem that best represents you and all you want to show them is that you like peace and quiet and are annoyed by loud people?

again these are just suggestions :)

please critique my nyu supplements :]

Home / Undergraduate / Poem, New Yorker, and Movie - NYU supplement