"The political free thinkers community" - University of Michigan Supplement

singher39 1 / 1  
Ok so here is the prompt

Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

And my essay

I belong to the community of what I like to call, "political free thinkers". At the age when many of my peers are deciding, "I'm a Democrat", or "I'm a Republican, I decided that I don't support the Republicans or the Democrats. George Washington said in his farewell address in 1796 "However [political parties]...are likely in the course of time...to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be able to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government". In other words, avoid political parties. And I firmly believe he is right. Perhaps I am naive about how the world works, but i think that one of the the biggest mistake people make is aligning themselves with a party, and refusing to listen to the views of others. In politics, and life in general, it is very important to keep an open mind, to be willing to listen to both sides of the story so one can make the most informed decision. To vote only for a Democrat or only for a Republican no matter who the candidate is, is something that I will never be able to understand. The party does not matter, the views of the individual matter.

My place in this community of "free thinkers" is a member. One does not need to be able to vote to be a free thinker, the only requirement is to keep an open mind and to not judge hastily.

Im having a bit of Trouble expanding from politics to life in general, as well as coming up with a good conclusion. Thanks!
I belong to a community of what I like to call, "political free thinkers".

At the age when many of my peers are deciding, "I'm a Democrat", or "I'm a Republican, I decided that I don't support the Republicans or the Democrats.---YAY!!

In other words, we should avoid political parties.

And I firmly believe he was right.

Perhaps I am naive about how the world works, but I think that one of the the biggest mistakes people make is to align themselves with a party, and refuse to listen to the views of others.

To vote only for a Democrat or only for a Republican no matter who the candidate is, is something that I will never be able to understand. The party does not matter, the views of the individual matter.---I was involved in such an argument just last night, with a hateful windbag of a closed minded Republican. Thank you for being on my side! :)

My place in this community of "free thinkers" is as a member.

Excellent, and very well put. Good luck with school!

:)
OP singher39 1 / 1  
Thank you for your advice! Much appreciated

Home / Undergraduate / "The political free thinkers community" - University of Michigan Supplement