Political Science: what led you to select your anticipated academic area of study

bana 1 / 1  
I'm simply not one of those people who see education as it is just focused in attending classes, listening to what teachers teach and finally struggle to get "Perfect" grades in exams. Although this is the wide-spread concept, for many of us, about getting educated, it doesn't seemingly work out for me. Perfect education for me is something like an effective chemical reaction where the educator and students are the two elements of this reaction. Both students and teacher should participate equally in the classroom to create a good chance of education as it's the teacher's mission, in addition to teach and illustrate the curriculum, to give his students the opportunity to express their ideas and let them share their different viewpoints in the class. Words such as "How", "Why" and "Because" should be main words in the classroom. So, hopefully by attending NYU Abu Dhabi, I believe that my chances to get this quality of education are very high as the university's policy in keeping the student-faculty ratio 8:1 implies its concern to provide a high quality education and keep the admission very competitive, which guarantee me a place with the most skilled students from all over the world. Also, reading news about the inaugural class of 2014 gave me an impression of how much NYU AD pays great attention to make the campus as a small cosmopolitan city, by admitting students from different places from the globe, without preference to any country, which makes me more interested to be part of this great cultural diversity, besides living in the big cosmopolitan city itself "Abu Dhabi". Furthermore, the opportunity NYU AD gives to attend one semester in one of the interconnected Global Network Universities again shows the university's concern to provide its students with the required experience they need in their career life. On the other hand, I'm applying for NYU Abu Dhabi with the intention to major in Political Science. Mainly, the reason I'm choosing this academic area specifically is to satisfy my curiosity and huge interest about politics, the way international relations are formed, the reasons that led to the two world wars and the way governments and states react with each other. I've so much admired the fact that politicians can represent a whole nation and their speech, in many times, is saved to be part of history. In my opinion, my choice to study Political Science in NYU AD undoubtedly will add a lot to my character, give me the ability to see the global events from a different perspective, especially when I have in class students from different places with different standpoints, highly broaden my horizons, and bestow me a chance to achieve my dream to be a political scientist.
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
In the first four sentences you impose an idea. Now consider this -- the people who will be reading this essay may be learned scholars who know all these things and the whole idea behind education. For them, your sentences do not carry any meaning. What I mean is, there is no point in telling the obvious. Moreover, that particular reason for your university selection can be applied to many other universities. The same can be said for the data on faculty-student ratio. These are just superficial reasons. Use your research a bit more.

The main problem with your essay is that you do not address the prompt properly. Your essay can be divided into three parts.
1. Your opinion on an issue
2. Why you think NYU AD is good for you
3. Why you like Pol Sc.

My suggestion is -- stick to Pol Sc. only. Tell them what you like about this area (use examples from recent times), and what is so special about the Pol Sc. programme offered in NYU AD.
OP bana 1 / 1  
oh thank you very this amazing review :D

Home / Undergraduate / Political Science: what led you to select your anticipated academic area of study