Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Pomona Supplement Create a Course "The Art and Science behind the Smile"

lilly1218 5 / 16 3  
I was really stuck on this one. Is my tone too degrading? Please comment and make suggestions! Be harsh!

Pomona's Critical Inquiry course is required of all first-year students, and is designed to be highly interdisciplinary and engaging. Recent class titles include: \"Molecules of the Mind\", \"The Economics of Sin\", and \"Punk: Poets, Politics and Provocation\". Imagine you were hired to design and teach a Critical Inquiry course. Describe the title of the class, its contents, and why you chose it.

Welcome to Pomona College, Class of 2018. At this time, I present you the innovative and thought-provoking course entitled "The Art and Science behind the Smile." Have you ever stared at the painting of the Mona Lisa? What is it that draws you in as you continue to look at it? The answer lies in her serene smile. Smiling is a way of communicating; in which neuronal signals travel from the brain's cortex down the brainstem into the cranial muscle and, then, toward the "smiling muscles" in your face: orbicularis oris and orbicularis oculi. Yet, smiling is more than just a contraction of muscles; it conveys a range of emotions. This simple yet powerful gesture is a fascinating blend of science and soul. This course is an introduction to the basic science behind smiling and its role in the society. It will focus on analyzing not only the mechanism of the brain when we smile, but also how the gesture is perceived and factored into situations of social interaction. In addition to the readings and discussions on previous research findings on smiling, we will be able to conduct new research here at Pomona College to explore topics ranging from detecting the sincerity of a smile through structural examination to revealing its unidentified health benefits. You will walk out of this class with a smile, instilling in the rest of the world a positive impression.

A course like "The Art and Science behind the Smile" is essential for progress in this world, and can only be found at Pomona College, an environment for intellectual development and personal growth that is second to none. Despite the immense number of sharp minds today, majority of them stay put in their room, studying for an upcoming test, or going on SNS, locked away from the rest of the humanity. Perhaps, a simple solution to bring them out is showing them the power of real-life interaction demonstrated through smiling. This course allows the student to gain scientific knowledge as well as to experience personal growth, therefore becoming competitive contributors to make the world a happier place. At Pomona College, I believe that I will develop to become a real person in the midst of the world full of automatons

Home / Undergraduate / Pomona Supplement Create a Course "The Art and Science behind the Smile"