OVER POPULATION: Georgetown Global issue essay

courtsnow27 2 / 2  
Please leave harsh feed back on what you think:)

Briefly discuss a current global issue, indicating why you consider it important and what you suggest should be done to deal with it

OVER POPULATION

If the planet earth continues on the path that it is headed for, it is predicted that between 2020 and 2029 that we will reach our maximum carrying capability for humans. In 1960 the human population was roughly 3 billion, since then it has more then doubled to 6.8 billion and is still rapidly growing. Humans add 1.5 million people to this earth every week.

There are 4 main causes for the overpopulation of earth; decline in death rate, increase in birth rate, migration and lack of education.
With our medicine and technology as proficient as it is today there are far less deaths due to disease and injury than there was 200 years ago. Our technology has enabled us to create many vaccines, cures and comforts for those in need, and as a result people are living longer and healthier lives then ever before. This is a great thing, but without controls on our birth rate our planet can't sustain all these people who once would have died.

Additionally, we have had an increase in births; so the death to birth ratio is disproportionate. Religion has helped increase the birth rates with pro life and anti birth control beliefs around the globe. By circulating these beliefs, less people are having abortions and not using birth control which results in a population increase. Up until recently people who lived in poverty had always had a large number of kids because the chance of a child's survival was slim, so having more kids increased their chance of passing their genes on. Now these people are still having a lot of babies but with our technology today the babies are surviving, so these families can't sustain life where they live so they chose to move to locations with more opportunities.

Another leading cause of over population is migration; one of the biggest reasons for someone to migrate is to provide a better life for themselves and their family. The US and Germany are both experiencing major problems due to more people entering the country than leaving. This is causing many issues because the financial and tax systems can only handle a certain amount of people. When the systems become overcrowded, people experience food and water shortages and negative affects on educational opportunities provided for the young because there may not be enough resources for all the citizens and the people who just migrated there legally or illegally.

If a population isn't adequately educated then they don't understand the concept of overpopulation and how crucial it is to not reach the carrying capability. The uneducated know little of controlling a population and planning a family. Since they don't know have much knowledge on this topic they will keep having large families since they don't know the consequences.

If over population continues, it will have damaging effects to everything on this earth. Over population is the basis of most problems we face world wide today; such as global climate change and World famine. Right now there are more people than our mother earth is used to. We are exterminating a huge producer of our oxygen by vigorously cutting down our trees. Lumber companies are buying up land in rainforests such as Brazil, Peru and Columbia, than tearing apart the forests to fulfill the growing demand for wood. As the demand for wood increases due to over population so does all of the earths other resources. Food and water is becoming scarcer which is a necessity for all life. There is millions of starving people in the world and this will only increase if there aren't any drastic changes.

Although the last time there was a decrease in world population was because of the black plague if properly enforced an ideal solution could be to limit the amount of children a couple can have. If each couple is limited to having 2 children, one to replace each parent after about 50 years this along with other precautions should help decrease the population because many people are infertile. On a global scale each country should be responsible to enforce this problem by educating the citizens on how to properly plan a family and supply them with birth control. A possible punishment for having an extra child could be a fine that can go to support this project along with not giving the family any financial aid for the child. For those countries who would not be able to support such a project the World powers could help cover these costs, although expensive this solution has the possibility of increasing the life quality for not only humans but all the inhabitants on earth.
Do not use more words than necessary:
If the planet earth continues on the its current path, that it is headed for , it is predicted that between 2020 and 2029 that we will reach our maximum carrying capability for humans.

The US United States and Germany are both

Do not use more words than necessary:
If overpopulation continues, it will have damaging effects to damage everything on this earth. Over population is the basis of most problems we face world wide today; such as global climate change and World famine.

There is are millions of starving people in the world, and this will only increase if there aren't any drastic changes.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / OVER POPULATION: Georgetown Global issue essay