'population/theatre scene/foods' -Why NYU? 'Les Miserables by Victor Hugo'-Intriguing

kdelaney 3 / 2  
Why NYU?
It has been said that NYU is a university "in and of the city." From co-ops and internships, to cultural and religious diversity, NYU's location in the heart of downtown Manhattan provides endless educational opportunities that other schools cannot offer. For example, the Gallatin School of Individualized Studies is a program that I have yet to see offered by another university. By designing a unique major, there is a degree of self-direction that is very liberating. The fact that NYU Gallatin provides its students with the freedom of choice while creating a major is invigorating. City life is something that has always attracted me. In contrast to my suburban background, a location such as New York City would allow me to take advantage of an endless stream of opportunities. The diverse population, compelling theatre scene, and extensive variety of ethnic foods are examples of unparalleled options that a university such as NYU presents to its students. I'm looking for a school that will give me a chance to get fully involved and immerse myself into the rich, cultural setting. I feel it also must be said that when I visited the campus, my tour guide was the funniest person I have ever met. He answered all questions in depth and gave me a clear picture of what my life could be like at NYU. Between the unique opportunities offered to its students and my eagerness to explore them, I feel that the best school for me is New York University.

Regardless of whether or not you have an intended major or concentration, please elaborate on an academic area of interest and how you wish to explore it at NYU's campuses in New York or Abu Dhabi or at one of our global academic centers around the world. Please share any activities or experiences you have had that have cultivated your intellectual interests leading you to choose to study at the NYU campus of your choice.

Ever since my first "Introduction to Spanish" class in fifth grade, I knew that I liked the language. As I progressed in my classes, I fell in love with the captivating culture and customs of places like Spain and Mexico. The people, scenery, and cuisine of Spain are what inspire me to keep going in my Spanish education. Participating in a Rotary Youth Exchange to Cadiz, Spain for a month during the summer before my Junior year definitely solidified my desire to study on an international level. Realizing this about myself, I found an interest in areas of study like International Business and International Relations. NYU provides excellent programs in these concentrations, along with opportunities to further my studies through internships with international companies stationed in New York City. The study abroad choices at NYU would be a rewarding way for me to advance in my major and learn more about the cultures of Spanish-speaking areas such as Ecuador, Chile, and Mexico. I love that studying abroad with NYU won't delay the process of getting a degree, and that students can continue to take classes in portal campuses from NYU professors. I hope that, by attending NYU, I am able to explore my interest in Spanish and learn how to put my passion to use in a field such as International Business.

What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, sciences, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book performance, website, event, location etc.) and explain its significance to you.

Experiencing a performance of _Les Miserables_, based on the book by Victor Hugo, had a profound effect on my life. Entranced by the opera, I found myself completely engrossed by the plot and music. Although my sophomore honors English class had studied the novel, something about seeing the characters portrayed by actors such as Alfie Boe (Jean Valjean) and Samantha Barks (Eponine) made the work much more intriguing. I feel that live theatre affects its audience in ways that books or plays are not capable of doing. The audience is able to interact with the play -- to laugh, to cry, to cheer. After viewing the opera, I noticed a parallel between Valjean's selfless acts of compassion and my background with community service. By learning to love others, Valjean experiences personal growth. Throughout my high school career, I have participated in a community service organization called Interact. During the holiday season, the group donates homemade cookies to the food pantry. Partaking in this project, I realized that even small acts of kindness can unearth smiles. As Valjean loves Cosette like a biological daughter, my connection to Interact continues to strengthen. Simple, selfless actions often create a snowball effect; slowly morphing into something bigger.
OP kdelaney 3 / 2  
help please!!?
missmex - / 3  
I've seen other schools that offer to design your own major, liberal arts specifically. So be more specific in how no other program is like it if you intend to be in the program. Only use examples relevant to your intended major and such. Why is NYC Spanish program so great? They know it's great, your task is to explain how by your knowledge. What is a good school in your eyes? See the broadness? Be specific, have voice and passion and this will be excellent! I see no grammar problems; hopefully an expert double checks as I'm not perfect with grammar, but it looks great from my p.o.v. Maybe explain why New York is perfect for you - mention the internship opportunities, the networking, why city life interests you briefly. Maybe explain how you can take advantage of the 24 hour restaurants and coffee places to grab a coffee and have unlimited study time. :) Hope I helped.

Home / Undergraduate / 'population/theatre scene/foods' -Why NYU? 'Les Miserables by Victor Hugo'-Intriguing