positive role model, I have learned from my mother how to care for others

monkeysee5 1 / -  
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

We all have a sanctuary to run to from a state of world-weariness. After a day of responsibilities and anxiety I run away to a child's world, because in the days of our youth everything is made simple.

It never occurred to me how quickly the past can slip out of one's hands if not cherished. What once was a life of carefree joys, is now a stressful time of never-ending homework assignments, and will soon become a life of responsibilities and bill payments. Paving our way to adulthood, childhood is often left in the dust. For most people childhood can no longer be relived, whereas I relive childhood everyday through a group of toddlers ranging from 0-3 years old.

I have been surrounded by children all my life due to my mother running a daycare. I have witnessed her tend to six rambunctious toddlers as if they were her own. Although different kids have come and gone, I have formed bonds with each and every single individual. I come home from school and am greeted with 5-6 kids screaming "jie jie, jie jie!" which means "sister, sister!" in Chinese. I've fallen in love with every child and have come to know their food preferences, dislikes and likes. I have built houses out of blocks, played dress-up, and colored outlines of Scooby doo and Pikachu with them. Imagine if every adult lived their lives like this, there would be no anxiety left!

As a young teen, I did not hold many responsibilities with the children. All I had to worry about was making sure they were entertained and was staying out of danger. Now as I grow up into a young adult, my mother has held me responsible to new tasks. Although this started out as an outlet to my stressful world, I am now yet again burdened with another responsibility. I have become a role model to these children. The way I act, react, or speak is constantly being watched by little eyes. At such a young age, all children do is copy. I was afraid that if I made one slip-up, they would mimic that one incident for a lifetime. I remember eating an early dinner in the dining room, right next to the living room where the children play, and telling my mom that I didn't want to eat the mushrooms from the pasta sauce. While almost all children are picky eaters, one child became particularly selective. She would push away the mushy grapes, spit out the skin of an apple, and resist from eating anything that smelled bad. My mother had consistently taught them not to be picky with their food, and to be grateful for what they have. I spend hours interacting with her, but I had not realized that she models herself after me. As a youngster, they look up to their elders. I then had to reverse my effect on her by showing her that being picky is not good. I myself had to model good eating habits in order for her to accept food she disliked.

Through the years, I have learned from my mother how to care for others. I have the chance to interact with children and witness their growth as their world expands to new sights and wonders. My experience growing up with children has made me realize that I want to be a positive role model not only for adolescent, but for people of all ages. My mother has taught me invaluable lessons, and I hope to pass it down to further generations.

(I am not sure if I am answering the prompt's question. I'm still not certain what it is I should write about... Is there anything I can improve on? Thanks a million!!)
For most people, childhood can no longer be relived, whereas I relive childhood every day through a group of toddlers ranging from 0-3 years old.

All I had to worry about was making sure they were entertained and were staying out of danger.

Now as I grow up into a young adult, my mother has held me responsible for new tasks.

Although this started out as an outlet to my stressful world, I am now yet again burdened with another responsibility.

She would push away the mushy grapes, spit out the skin of an apple, and resist from eating anything that smelled bad.

I spend hours interacting with her, ...who?

...positive role model not only for adolescents , but for people of all ages. My mother has taught me invaluable lessons, and I hope to pass them down to future generations.

Home / Undergraduate / positive role model, I have learned from my mother how to care for others