Post graduate essay for masters in Public policy: Competencies to be gained at the school

Riddi 7 / 16  
Essay Prompt: What competencies do you expect to gain from studying at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy? How do you see the MPP as contributing to your career?

Regarding economic policies Henry Hazlitt once said, "The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy; it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups." I believe as much as it holds true for economic policies it is equally true for public policies in general which go beyond the economic rationale and requires knowledge of wide range of subjects ranging from science to sociology. For instance while working on a summer intern project of management of parking spaces in the Walled City, Jaipur, I realised how the issue of parking which at first sight appeared to be a managerial problem had its roots in economic as well as technological aspects. The solution to the problem did not only required addressing the issue of discouraging demand through pricing mechanism affecting people's behaviour, but also to be simultaneously backed by a strong public transport system in the city. I therefore believe that for a successful career in public policy I should acquire such skills that can help me look beyond the obvious. In my opinion at LKYSPP with a peer group coming from around the globe, I would get an opportunity to build this diverse perspective critical to policymaking, but most importantly a unique Asian perspective.

As a Legislative Assistant to Member of Parliament I worked on a number of issues of national importance related to parliamentary debates and interventions. During this time I realised the complexity involved in managing the short term while simultaneously balancing building for the long term. For example, the debate around introducing 51% Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail in India was largely based on two main narratives. The first one that advocates the economic benefits to the farmers in the form of right prices for their produce and new employment opportunities and the other, which criticizes it for being anti to retail shopkeepers and vendor who would lose their source of income because of it. At this junction in order to successfully attain the desired policy outcomes, besides the analytical and negotiating skills required for policymaking one also requires policy temperament. I believe the stellar faculty at LKYSPP with years of experience both as academics and practitioners will help me develop this policy temperament which would prove crucial in my career in the long run.

In future, I intend to pursue a career in development and public policy consultancy and envision myself working with both private and public sector particularly with the international organisations such as the World Bank and the UNDP. At LKYSPP, I think I would be benefited in great deal by its career development activities in particular the career development workshops. Studying at LKYSPP will also give me a platform to access internships and job opportunities at these places.
niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
The first one that advocates the economic benefits to the farmers in the form of right prices for their produceproduct and new employment opportunities and the other, which criticizes it for being anti to retail shopkeepers and vendor who would lose their source of income because of it. -- the italicized part is a dependent clause, thus, it can't stand alone. Meaning to say, it is an incomplete thought.

In the future, I intend to pursue..

Overall, your essay is good. But your intro still needs to be refined. It seems that it is longer than the body part. Try to shorten the length of your paragraph in a way that you have to concisely state the topic sentence. Additionally, someone else's idea is not a good one to be the topic sentence. It should be written on your own words/idea, not a quotation from a prominent man. That is one of the characteristics of a good topic sentence.
OP Riddi 7 / 16  
Thank niesaysi for the feedback! I will work on your suggestions. also, is the essay replying the prompt well? Or du find some loopholes where the response isnt direct and need polishing?

Home / Undergraduate / Post graduate essay for masters in Public policy: Competencies to be gained at the school