"...this power exists" - FSU essay on three famous Latin words

floridagirl 1 / -  
Prompt: For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

"What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." This quote by Alexander Graham Bell exemplifies my dream; the dream that I will one day present myself proudly in Florida State colors of gold and garnet. Looking back on my life I find that the Latin word "Vires" strongly signifies what I believe in; Strength. Every day I embody myself with Moral, Physical, and Intellectual strength.

In high school my idea of moral strength has been challenged to the extreme. The reality of what is cool and what is not really sets in and makes you think. I for one will never change my ideas of what is right and what is wrong. Growing up in a multiracial household has really given me a different perspective of morality. At a very young age my parents taught me treat a person like a recipe; never judge them from their ingredients but taste test them in many different ways and see how well the final product makes your mouth water. I will always stand by in this metaphor no matter where I am or who I am with.

Basketball is where my physical strength comes from. When people ask me why I play basketball I simply reply, "I love the sport. It's not just a way to shed a few pounds, but it also builds character." The minute I step foot on the court I feel a sense of invincibility, but the real accomplishment comes from defeat. Once I glace up at the final scoreboard and see my team won, it makes all the early morning jogs, extra practice and weightlifting sessions well worth it.

I consider the brain one of the most important parts of the body. My intellectual strength comes straight from the classroom. I feel like knowledge is a privilege. Although there are times when I wish I could sleep in instead of going to school, I think about all of the children in third world countries. Some of those children do not get the chance to learn. My intellectual strength gives me the ability to excel in the classroom, as well as not take it for granted.

Although certain of my strength, I know that I cannot get any weaker, only stronger. The only place I feel that will lead me in the direction of growth of strength is Florida State University.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Great response to the prompt; a few mechanical errors, but overall a strong essay. Nice opening and conclusion; the body is well organized and you flow well from one paragraph to the next.

Home / Undergraduate / "...this power exists" - FSU essay on three famous Latin words