The Power of Family - UC Prompt #1

mnguyen3r 1 / 1  
Family: simple word, complicated concept. Like most people, I have a love/hate relationship with my family, nonetheless they will always be a part of who I am. My parents have always gone out of their way to ensure that I excelled in school. When all the other children were playing outside, you could find me in a classroom with a tutor. I recall being enrolled in so many different summer classes that I forgot which homework to turn in to who. It was relentless. I envied my friends who didn't have to do any of the extra homework that I did. In the back of my mind, I knew that it was for the best but at the time it didn't matter. This realization later motivated me to try my best in school. I felt like I owed them, that it was the least I could do. Sometimes it seems like they measure their parenting ability on how well I do in school and it makes them feel inadequate when I get a bad grade. It's like when I work hard in school, my parents feel like they're better parents. My parents' emphasis on the importance of education and knowledge had influenced my goal to do well in school. Without their encouragement, I never would've volunteered at Happy Hollow Park & Zoo or taken AP classes, two unforgettable experiences which have sparked my love for helping the community and learning. I do it for myself but also for them because they've believed in me and never left my side. They are not the only individuals in my family who have encouraged me to succeed in my life. My younger sister has had just as great an impact on my life as my parents have. I was in first grade when I began to understand that my sister looked up to me. She wanted to do whatever I did and wear whatever I wore. I began to understand that I had to set a good example. I realized that I needed to be the bigger person and that holds true to today. I still think twice about everything I do, every decision I make. I wonder how it'll impact her. I always try to do the right thing, especially when she's around. It's dissuaded me from making bad decisions and all in all made me a better person. Everyone in my family has always been a positive influence on me. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to take so many extra classes or had to worry about being a role model 24/7, but I'm glad it happened because it's made me who I am. All things considered, the power of my family's influence on my life is undeniable and will continue to shape me for the rest of my life.
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
A personal essay needs to be specific to its writer.

I've listed some cliches that appear in your essay. Rephrase them in your own words. (What you've written below are really other people's words. You're just borrowing them.)

This is a dealbreaking problem!

love/hate relationship
gone out of their way
In the back of my mind
it was for the best
]try my best
the least I could do
looked up to me
set a good example
holds true
think twice
do the right thing
All things considered
the rest of my life
OP mnguyen3r 1 / 1  
Thank you! I'll rewrite those.

Home / Undergraduate / The Power of Family - UC Prompt #1