' I'm a practical student' My way into Engineering - USC - academic interests

fiftyskye 4 / 14  
Prompt: Describe your academic interests and hw you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first and second-choice major selections.

In my country the major decision is crucial when you are going to high school because of the specific and already directed courses. It wasn't hard to choose what path I'd follow because I'm a practical student. I like Sciences in general. But although I knew I wanted to pursue an engineering related major since 10th grade, I was much undecided on what specific field through my high school years. Luckily enough, it didn't take me too long to decide once year 12 came: Chemistry engineering was what I wanted! That year I gained more interest in Chemistry because I was introduced to Organic Chemistry. Since I'm curious and dynamic, the versatility of this degree concerning work options afterwards made me love it even more. I'd certainly like to experience everything this degree has to offer. The fact that I love Geology also helped a lot in the final major decision.

Because of its Chemical engineering programs with different areas of focus, Viterbi School of Engineering grabbed my attention. The focus in petroleum won me since I've thought of doing this specialty after my BA. In addition, at USC, I have many options to minor in such as Environmental Engineering, Songwriting, Religion, which also interest me. On top of that, there is the opportunity to do research as soon as freshmen year.

- DO you think it responds the promp? Grammar and word choice edits are much appreiated! Thank you.
In my country the major decision is crucial when you are going to high school because of the specific and already directed courses

In my country, the decision on major is a crucial one because high schools offer specific and pre-directed courses.

It wasn't hard to choose what path I'd follow because I'm a practical student.

... I feel this sentence is not adding any value to your response. Rather, the reader gets confused with the first three sentences because they sound contradictory to each other. :(

Focus on what you intend to study and tell them about your interest in them.

Home / Undergraduate / ' I'm a practical student' My way into Engineering - USC - academic interests