'Preaching my first sermon' - An attempt to jumpstart NCSSM essays

ClynnSams 1 / 1  
Each prompt is numbered for ease in replying.
Most of my essays are well under the maximum character limit, although my adversity essay needs trimming.

Prompt One: NCSSM is a community to which all members contribute. It is also a community in which all members benefit. Write an essay about yourself, describing the special abilities, skills, and experiences that qualify you for admission. Be sure to describe the contributions you will make to the school and how both the academic and residential experience will enhance your development as a scholar and as a person.

On a platform alone above a hundred congregation members I preached my first sermon. I was thirteen at the time, and it was only as I started to gaze into the faces of those before me that I realized the magnitude of the occasion. Sitting before me were a hundred completely different people governed by four genetic bases, brought together by an idea that this was where they belonged. I've always had a bit of a flair for the dramatic, but I think this realization of the miracles of both DNA and social psychology was no small moment of enlightenment.

It was in that moment that I decided I wanted to delve into the sciences of genetics and psychology. Since that moment I've been more ambitious, more passionate, and more hopelessly quirky than ever before. NCSSM is a place where passionate people hone their craft in an environment conducive to ideas, both practical and abstract. From my viola playing to my time spent bible quizzing, everything is impacted by my newfound love for experimental progress and an abstract outlook on the beauty of everything.

One of those ideas is that when three or four people come together with a common goal beautiful things can happen. NCSSM provides me with a place to grow in my individuality and influence others in their growth. Every applicant has some form of intellectual abilities, but a lot of people are missing something that absolutely sets me ablaze. I ooze with passion.

NCSSM is a campus full of people who share a common goal; they wish to grow as scholars and individuals. In my wildest dreams I see NCSSM as a place oozing with passion for scientific and mathematical development, and I feel that I could be instrumental in helping to attain that campus mindset. There's a campus that could be set ablaze with fresh, unique, and slightly quirky ideas, and inside of me, there is a yearning for deeper intellectual stimuli and a chance to develop individually that I know you can provide.

Prompt Two:
Explain any adversity you have faced (LIMIT 500 Characters)
Ten year olds are quite possibly some of the most confused individuals on the planet. Not quite an adolescent, yet struggling with the inner battle between N Sync and heavy metal, this is by no means an easy age. At age ten children begin to separate themselves into circles of friends. When I was ten years old there was no circle of friends for children with terminally ill parents.

Towards the end of my fifth grade year my mother began to have headaches. MRI scans showed a mass in her brain. Prayer and anointing did what medicine alone could not. Today my mother is completely healthy- though not all normal, and I feel I owe a lot of my individuality to her illness.

Prompt Three:
How will you contribute outside of the classroom to the NCSSM community? (unknown limit)
I've always been on a mission to destroy the world I know. Pain and suffering will never be eliminated, but intolerance and anger serve no purpose in construction the future for our generation. Through my parents divorce, my mother's heath struggles, and my step-fathers deployments I've always attempted to cope with a smile and a little bit of prayer.

No matter where I've been in my life I've always found it very easy to express myself. Whether through clothing, literature, music, or a smile at a passer-by, I like to leave everyone with a little impression of who I am. I'm generally very amicable, though I'm not afraid to stand up for what I know is right.

I see myself as having a positive demeanor with an optimistic state of mind and an appreciation for diversity. My unique experiences tend to spice up conversations while making me very accessible for advice.

I have a passionate love for an wide varieties of music. Anything from eighties to classical to metal interests me. Though I have preferences I try to enjoy a little piece of any tune that I hear. I think this practice boils over into my life outside of music. Diversity is the spice of life, so I enjoy having a wide variety of personalities in my group of friends. Albert Einstein once said "Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."

I enjoy the small things like unique vocabulary, abstract art, and humor in everyday situations. It never has taken much for me to set my mind on an idea and run with it, testing all the scenarios that could aid in use of a specific metaphor as a teaching mechanism.

My personality paired with my understanding of what others are going through makes me no only a good roommate, but also a reliable friend. With all of these attributes I can confidently say that I would be able to bring not just a positive attitude but also a bridge between a lot of the cliques that tend to develop on any campus. Through my actions as well as prayers I feel that I can bring a spirit of unity onto the campus of NCSSM.

Propmt Four: Describe your personality and what makes you unique. (8000 character limit)
As a ubiquitous teenage I often looked for my identity in the music I listened to, the friends I had, or the people I admired. Through that treacherous trial-and-error system of learning I feel like the person I am is only beginning to emerge. The person I am, and perhaps more importantly, the person I am becoming, surprises even myself. Sometimes, I wonder if that person is FDA approved.

As I watched my mother go through strenuous medication schedules, I learned a little bit about medicine. In order for a medicine to be allowed on the marked the FDA must see reasonable evidence that the drug is affective with little signs of dangerous side effects. My personality has never been clinically tested before. Much like sodium and chloride potentially potent ingredients like a flair for the dramatic and extreme beliefs can come together to form a remedy for conformity.

I lean heavily on the ideas that faith and prayer can change anything. I believe that passion is the glue that holds any success together. I believe that having a positive attitude can affect any situation in a very tangible way, even if it means singing into a hairbrush as the world crashes down around you. Yet the most crucial of my beliefs is simply that my God is able to take my quirky mannerisms and slightly extreme methods, and use them for good.

I love collaborating with others who share a common goal or task. I'm wired to take on a task and let nothing come between me and completion. It's my ambition to become the very best I possibly can be, while helping others on the way. Though my ideas tend to be a bit more abstract than those around me, I love taking constructive criticism from those who work with me. I find comradely criticism to encourage growth and development. I yen for individual growth, as well as corporate development on a whole.

I love people with the passion of a God who created each one of them uniquely. I hold first John chapter three verse eighteen, which states "let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action" as my motto. I want my passion, devotion to academic excellence, tendencies to find sarcastic humor in ridiculous circumstances, and most importantly, love, to be evident in my life through everything that I do. The world can be a place full of malice and damaging words, or it could rotate on the axis of love and hope. As dominant inhabitants, earth is what we make it, and I want to make it my canvas upon which I paint the face of my beautiful savior.

I'm filled with zeal for scientific strides, sardonic literature, progressive music, and the well being of my family. Genetics, catchy tunes, long lists of peculiar vocabulary, and adventurous people all absorb my time like a sham-wow absorbs soda. Though the soda will move on to the sink, the brown coloration has forever impacted the sham-wow.

Quirky, confident, loud, expressive, and ambitious, I hope to impact the world with my ideology. My personality may not be FDA certified quite yet, but it's well on its way to proudly displaying it's stamp of approval.
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Prompt 1

It was in that moment that I decided I wanted to delve into the sciences of genetics and psychology.

It seems a bit too rhetorical...almost sounding pompous.

Since that moment I've been more ambitious, more passionate, and more hopelessly quirky than ever before.

This one comes unexpectedly. There is nothing in the previous lines to substantiate your claims of your qualities.

but a lot of people are missing something that absolutely sets me ablaze. I ooze with passion.

This is not the proper way to write. First of all, you don't know the other applicants, so how do you know that they lack passion? Secondly, how can you just say that you are passionate? Anyone, can do that, and will that set you apart? So, show the AOs with the help of an anecdote or something, that you really are passionate.

Prompt 2
Add a bit more how your mother's illness affected you, and cut some from the part about ten-year olds.

Prompt 3

I've always been on a mission to destroy the world I know. Pain and suffering will never be eliminated, but intolerance and anger serve no purpose in construction the future for our generation.

I didn't understand the purpose of these sentences.

This is a good essay. I like the way you used the Einstein quote.
The concluding sentence needs some work -- spirit of unity is not very memorable.

Prompt 4

chloride

Chlorine. Chloride is used only after the formation of product or in case of ions. -- this is not an important advice. Sometimes I just get carried away if I see something related to chemistry. :)

Rather than saying you're ABC, why don't you briefly describe some experiences? The readers can then determine your personality themselves. The added benefit is. that it would sound like the truth.
I was really impressed by the first one... good stuff.

Here is a place where "less is more." ---> Ten year-olds are quite possibly some of the most confused individuals on the planet.

Also, I added a hyphen to year-old...

I have a passionate love for an wide varieties a wide variety of music.

My personality has never been clinically tested before.

Awesome, good idea!
My personality may not be FDA certified quite yet, but it's well on its way to proudly displaying it's that stamp of approval.

:-)
OP ClynnSams 1 / 1  
Thanks guys! I will certainly follow this advice!

Also, I was under the impression it was Sodium-Chloride so I really appreciate that.

All-in-all, great advice.
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
I was under the impression it was Sodium-Chloride

It is, when you name the final product, i.e. salt. Whereas in your case, you are talking about the ingredients, or the separate elements which occur before the reaction. Therefore, it should be Chlorine.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Preaching my first sermon' - An attempt to jumpstart NCSSM essays