My primary goal is to major in mass communications and get involved in the field of journalism

briannaasalways 3 / 6 2  
Prompt with 250 word max limit: As you start your college career, what is your primary goal as a student and how have you prepared to meet this goal, how do you plan to succeed, how do you feel you will do at VCU?

My primary goal as a student is to major in mass communications and get involved in the field of journalism. I want to expand upon the basic foundation of my education I have received up until this point. I took photojournalism at my school and joined the crew of my school's morning announcements, G-News, in order to help me prepare for my goal. This allowed me to gain insight into the changing environment of journalism on a novice level, but still gaining valuable experience that will lead to achieving credentials as a professional journalist one day. Since I loved filming and editing videos so much from being in photojournalism, I started a YouTube channel in which I film and edit short videos. I also signed up for Yearbook to further my interest in journalism by covering events and interviewing people at my school. To achieve my goal, I will be dedicated and driven in my major. Journalism is not easy because it can be very nerve-wracking being on camera, being behind the scenes, or covering an event. I will not let these fears get to me and I will put myself out there, as I did by creating my YouTube channel and being a reporter for my school. I feel that I will thrive at VCU because it's a very diverse and open-minded college that enriches the students. VCU will allow me to use the skills I have at hand and improve upon them throughout the next four years.

All feedback is welcome, ESPECIALLY on any grammar issues you see, please point them out and help with corrections if you see them. I'm pretty content with what I wrote, my deadline is Thursday and I'm just making sure everything is as perfect as can be!
I don't think your stated primary goal is really the primary goal. : ) What is the real goal? Getting into journalism is a 'means to an end', just like becoming president, or becoming wealthy. They are means to certain ends... so what is the purpose you are trying to achieve? I admit, ambition is profane folly and our aspirations are all rather ridiculous in the grand scheme of things, but in the somewhat smaller scheme of things people are having real experienced, real grief and pain. You can help with that. So, what is the real goal?

And don't say something grand and dramatic like students usually say in these essays, lol. How about a goal associated with some aspect of society you really think should be brought to light? Example: If your primary goal is something about giving voice to the oppressed, your primary goal as a student might involve a specific blend of courses in journalism and sociology to lay your foundation. The point is that if you have a very specific plan for accomplishing some goals important to you, the reader absolutely will favor you. The reader rarely encounters an essay from a student with real goals and a real plan.

VCU will allow me to use the skills I have at hand and improve upon them throughout the next four years. This sort of sentence is not helpful. It can be replaces with sentences that really tell about specific goals you want to achieve. With some internet research you can learn fascinating things about accomplishments of other journalists... so, which inspire you, and what specific accomplishments do you think you might make to benefit the world during 2015-2020 with all the crazy things that are going on?

Home / Undergraduate / My primary goal is to major in mass communications and get involved in the field of journalism