Princeton supp essay- why engineering?

prl 5 / 3  
If you are interested in pursuing a B.S.E. degree, please write an essay describing why you are interested in studying engineering, any experiences or exposure to engineering you have had , and how do you think the programs in engineering offered at Princeton suit your particular interest?

Science has always intrigued me from the very beginning. Starting from forth grade, I loved doing experiments, observing cells, solving problems related with machines. My inclination to science in primary school has urged me to become a science student in high school. I have participated debates, competitions related with science and advocated my ideas clearly. I have also joined the school's science club where I learned the basics of doing a research and how to prepare a thorough science project. Especially my high school years have played an instrumental role on choosing my major. Since, I wasn't into studying medicine, I realized that engineering would be the best place to continue and develop my interest in science.

Starting from my childhood, I have been exposed to engineering in many ways. When I was about 10 years old, my father would pick me up from the school and take me to our factory. I would spend at least two hours a day scrutinizing the machines, running around the factory and putting my nose into the employee's work. After 3 years, I had a work experience in the factory for a month. I was in the packaging section, however I had the access to go to every department and observe the engineers. I would ask them many questions and try to understand their work-styles. Although it didn't last for a long period of time, I got the chance to see the real conditions of a work environment and decide by virtue of my observations.

This experience has thought me a lot of things. Besides showing me the importance of perseverance and hard work, it made me realize that engineering is my ideal major. I am a person who is a researcher and an investigator. I like questioning the variability of things before fully accepting them. I like to be a part of a contentious environment because it forces me to improve my qualities constantly. By studying engineering, I will be able to use my skills and creativity

to solve the problems. Furthermore, I will be helpful to the community. In order to get the pleasure I want from my profession, I have to be beneficial to both myself and humanity. Moreover, the liberal education I will gain with engineering will not only be useful for my profession, but also be momentous throughout my life. Since science and technology comprises a lot of our lives, studying engineering will facilitate solving problems because it will teach you to think analytically and systematically.

As a high school student, I do not yet know which field I want to work in. Although I opted on majoring in engineering, I can't decide which department. However what I do know is that I want to attend a university which is renowned for its success in engineering. As I did my research, I realized that Princeton University suits this description. Its dedicated professors and accomplished alumni certainly underscore the success of the university. Thorough studying Operations Research and Financial Engineering in Princeton University, I will be able to learn a great curriculum that provides all the fundamental lessons and embraces technology and science. Thus, I will make more specific and prudent choices later on and still have a comprehensive education.

If we ground on today's world, we will see that there is a great range of possibilities waiting for engineers when they graduate. I know that I want to be an engineer. I will not only express my ideas clearly and use my creativity, but also be ready for the life itself. Of course, I need a good education to become an efficient engineer as I wish to be. I am confident that Princeton University will give me the best opportunities to succeed in my future endeavors and furthermore, I am confident that my Princeton years will be an experience that I can use as a guidance throughout my life.

this is a very important essay for me so I will be pleased to hear your comments!! (:
Although he is a mechanical engineer, he runs the company with my uncle.

I also realized that I want not only to be involved in manufacturing but also to supervise and interact with people. I know I am good at human interaction, and I want to use my communication skills and creativity. In this way, I will be able to fulfill my dream which I built in primary school: to become a successful businesswoman.

As a high school student, I do not yet know which field I want to work in.

It is usually best not to use contractions, but instead to write out both words. Also, you might want to experiment with rearranging the paragraphs. The more you revise, the better the essay becomes! Good luck!!

Home / Undergraduate / Princeton supp essay- why engineering?