'Problems are an inherent component of any society' - Princeton Common Application Supplement Essay

Th25cc 2 / 90 26  
The world limit is 650, and I'm currently at 876. I'd like to know what you guys think is best that I should keep (and maybe even expand on) and what is worse that I should delete. I'm not too concerned with grammar, although if you'd like to point out grammatical issues, feel free. I'm concerned most about the content and what kind of perception you get from the essay. If you were an admissions counselor, what would your impression of me be? Also, if you had to put my answer to the prompt into one sentence, what would it be? (This gives me a feel for if my answer to the prompt conveys what I want to convey). The prompt and essay are below. Thank you!

Prompt:In addition to the essay you have written for the Common Application, please write an essay of about 500 words (no more than 650 words and no less than 250 words). Using one of the themes below as a starting point, write about a person, event, or experience that helped you define one of your values or in some way changed how you approach the world. Please do not repeat, in full or in part, the essay you wrote for the Common Application.

2. "One of the great challenges of our time is that the disparities we face today have more complex causes and point less straightforwardly to solutions." Omar Wasow, Assistant Professor, Politics; Founder, (website removed) This quote is taken from Professor Wasow's January 2014 speech at the Martin Luther King Day celebration at Princeton University.

Problems are an inherent component of any society, but the problems themselves are not the biggest issues we face. Our greatest challenge is finding an effective way to go about solving, discussing, and debating those problems. Without a strong strategy for discourse and resolution, no problem can be solved in today's society where almost everything is controversial.

I became interested in dispute resolution and problem solving strategies as a result of exploring ways to implement libertarian solutions. The essence of libertarian problem solving is rectifying issues without government, which starkly contrasts the way in which we usually go about solving problems today - through government. As someone interested in debating important issues and advocating for my preferred solutions, knowing the best strategy for doing so is crucial.

I have followed the work of libertarian anti-war activist, author, politician, journalist, and protestor Adam Kokesh for quite some time. Kokesh has done it all in terms of advocating for a free society. He has campaigned for state office in New Mexico, organized protests, interviewed prominent figures, engaged in numerous acts of civil disobedience, written a book, and even disrupted John McCain's acceptance of the Republican nomination.

Out of all of these means of persuasion, I found Kokesh's interviews, videos, and writings about the issues to be the most effective. His relentless explanations of taxation being theft, war being immoral, and government being the monopoly on the initiation of force resonated with me. Ultimately, it was the discourse and absorbing of information that shifted my ideology towards libertarianism - not the protests or civil disobedience. I certainly enjoyed Kokesh's acts of civil disobedience, but that was only because I was already convinced of the libertarian message of universal non-violence. For example, Kokesh loaded a gun in Washington, D.C. on the fourth of July in direct defiance of the District's ban on firearms. I, along with other like-minded individuals, saw a victimless crime and justified act of civil disobedience. Others simply saw an extremist nut that deserved to go to jail.

The ramifications of Kokesh's actions were severe. He spent six months in jail, four of which were in isolation. He planned on fighting the gun charges in court in an attempt to get a jury to nullify the law, but ended up pleading guilty and accepting a suspended sentence after facing 15 years in prison - the potential risk was just too high.

After immersing myself in the gamut of Kokesh's work and analyzing the consequences of each of his actions, I made some realizations about the ways in which we go about advocating for certain solutions. Trying to make a change by defying laws, disrupting others, or provoking government isn't going to accomplish anything. All it does is disturb the majority of people and weaken the activist's credibility. Think back to Kokesh's gun-related civil disobedience. The only way he would've been able to get a jury to nullify the law is if public opinion was already on his side, and it clearly wasn't. Instead of convincing his opponents, he landed himself a jail sentence and drew the ire of the media and citizens of D.C. While he may have rallied supporters, it's impossible to lead a group from a cell in solitary confinement.

If there's anything to learn from Kokesh's ordeal as a provocateur, it's that confrontational and combative ways of persuasion are ineffective. This fall, Kokesh decided to spurn his past as an instigative activist and transition towards fundamentally changing the way people think about government. To do so, he plans on spending 2015 living out of an RV and touring 150 American cities to promote his book, Freedom, and returning to his most effective way of persuasion (the way which convinced me) - directly interacting with the public, interviewing people, and making compelling verbal and written arguments.

We can apply Kokesh's lesson to more than just spreading libertarian ideology. Many individuals, groups, and organizations are attempting to solve today's problems through combative and provocative means. Workers illegally block roads to protest higher wages. Individuals upset with Darren Wilson's acquittal chain shut mall doors on Black Friday and loot and destroy businesses. All of these actions are futile when it comes to changing public opinion. If someone disagrees with an activist's point, they're not going to see the activist's law-breaking or destructive behavior as justified.

If we want to do more than just rally our allies, we have to switch away from poking back at our opponents, seeking revenge, and aggressively protesting. In order to get what we want, public opinion has to be on our side. No matter how right or wrong revolutionaries may be, they are always going to be seen as aggressors in the wrong as long as the status quo shapes public opinion. In order to solve society's most complex problems, we have to change the status quo, not fight it. Fighting back is easy - it's our knee-jerk instinct. Dissolving that instinct and relentlessly writing, speaking, and advocating for a solution is much harder, but it is necessary. The solutions to today's toughest problems aren't going to arise as a result of infantile fighting - they're going to emerge as the product of years of hard work, where society's best minds strive to change and mold public opinion.
ashluu 2 / 3  
The overall content is thought provoking, but the intro is a little bland. It doesn't really grab the reader's attention. Also you could cut out

OP Th25cc 2 / 90 26  
I would agree with cutting out the excess details in relation to Kokesh's journey. I should probably try to eliminate primarily from areas that aren't important to my main theme. I agree with your thoughts on the introduction. I should probably jump right into my experiences or the story instead of trying to make a thesis-like introduction.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Problems are an inherent component of any society' - Princeton Common Application Supplement Essay