"more than just programming" - Cornell Engineering Essay

java4u 3 / 8  
College of Engineering: Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest.

Being part of a family filled with many computer programmers shaped my ideas and thinking to be more technical. I always loved taking math, science, and technology classes, when offered, at school. I always knew that my world would be surrounded by some sort of mathematical and scientific calculations, but I just didn't know which specific field in engineering I was interested in. However, during the summer after my freshman year, I first took a leap into the field of computer science. I took a class in India where I learned about web development and designing. Since then, my life's focus has changed to an extent that I try to incorporate some form of computer science in all my activities just to help me stay focused, and somewhat motivated.

For example, in order to free myself from the discrimination my tennis team was showing, I started my own school of tennis. Since the summer of my Sophomore year, I coached tennis to younger children as my part-time job. Everyday I would spend about two to three hours helping these kids. In order to motivate myself more, besides the fact that I love teaching tennis, I built website for my tennis school. Through it I displayed information about my school such as the timings, events, pictures and videos. I used what I learned from the course I took in India to build the site.

While searching online for top engineering colleges, Cornell came up high on the list, fortunately, because I have always wanted to study at New York, specifically at Cornell. What attracted me more was the large number of CS courses, ranging from computer programming to digital graphics. I believe that being a great computer scientist required more than just programming, which I believe Cornell greatly exemplifies.

Please give me any feedback! Thanks.
Being part of a family filled with many computer programmers, has shaped my ideas and thinking into being more technical.

I've always loved taking math, science, and technology classes, when offered, at school.

However, during the summer after my freshman year, I first took a leap into the field of computer science.

I took a class in India where I learned about web development and designing .

Since then, my life's focus has changed to such an extent that I try to incorporate some form...

Every day ---two words--- I would spend about two to three hours helping these kids.

Through it, I displayed information about my school such as the timings, events, pictures and videos.

While searching online for top engineering colleges, Cornell came up high on the list, fortunately, because I have always wanted to study in New York, specifically at Cornell.

I believe thatBecoming a great computer scientist requires more than just programming, which I believe Cornell greatly exemplifies.

Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "more than just programming" - Cornell Engineering Essay