Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

I promised my mother that I will get a college degree that she had always wanted me to have

iceboar 3 / 4  
Please review and advise. Thank you!

Prompt #2
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

I never graduated high school. Then an immature attempt to take twenty one units at Orange Coast College resulted in three Ws and a F. Lacking motivation, I quitted school altogether. I temporarily moved to Texas and started working without purpose for three years. Then I ventured to Arizona with my oldest sister on her business plan and took a couple of college courses.

My mother, the dearest person to me ever since my dad left us when I was young boy, became ill; so my sister and I went back to California. I was home tending to my mother when she was diagnosed as terminally ill. Before my mother passed away two years ago, I childishly begged her to not leave us and promised her that I will get a college degree that she had always wanted me to have. I told her that I will graduate from a college and turn my life around. An immigrant, she believed that America is the land of opportunity and that education is the key to success. Though she is no longer with us I still have a promise to fulfill and a goal to achieve.

I got my GED, a decent paying job as a loan processor and also enrolled in three courses at Orange Coast College. At first it was very difficult to work full time and go to school part time simultaneously. Slowly I had to learn how to manage both because they were both were priorities. My plan was going smoothly. Then two months later, the company went under.

Not to be deterred, I landed an interview a month later for a data entry job, TriStar. The pay was meager. However, I had the support of my family because the company would promote within if an employee demonstrated excellence and met the qualifications; I took the job with the goal of becoming a claims examiner like another sister of mine, quickly.

I completed my daily tasks rapidly and diligently and took on additional duties. At the same time I increased my status to a full time student. In addition, I studied for a required state examination and courses to become a claims examiner. I was promoted to a claims assistant after six months. I began to take honors courses. The mounting pressure of school, work and resentment within the company provided additional motivations to succeed. My determination allowed me to acquire skills I needed to thrive: time management, a key element of my endurance which facilitated the increase in my ability to prioritize issues. The chain effect continues as I learn how to separate family, school and work, increasing my ability to stay focus. Eighteen months of hard work paid off as I was promoted to become a claims examiner. It was a proud moment for me, and I can see it in my family's eyes when I treated them out to dinner.

In reflection I believe that these lesser goals are the fuels to one's success in life, building character, strengthening relationships, and creating lasting memories. Failures are only perseverance checks. An ultimate goal is soon a lesser goal to another "ultimate" goal, elevating one's reach to the infinite possibilities.

Home / Undergraduate / I promised my mother that I will get a college degree that she had always wanted me to have