"Proprietary software, roommate, research" - All Stanford's supplimentary essays

kdboadu 2 / 10  
Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

Proprietary software should be completely eradicated and replaced entirely with open source software. I have always wondered why I had to pay for some simple softwares while others of the same caliber or better, were a download away. Open source by definition is, "a development method for software that harnesses the power of distributed peer review and transparency of process." It is software that is available for others to study, change, and improve. Proprietary companies who create proprietary software, have mandate, given by their copyright, to control what their users do with their software. Open source can be seen in agriculture, health and science, government, ethics, media, education, arts and recreation. In these different areas, there is an issue of knowledge. Knowledge acquired through years of education, results in impact in the workplace and income. The question is, should years of education with hope of getting a good salary, be wasted with on a mere ideology? In other words, why should individuals commit their resources to open source projects when they will be no reward?The answer is very simple, a report by a Standish Group says that, due to the partial acceptance of open-source software, $60 billion has been saved by customers. Clearly, open source software is the way to the future of technology.

Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Like many other freshmen my greatest fear is to get a roommate that I won't like. Luckily, you wont have that problem! I believe in a verse from the bible that says, "theres time for everything". As a kid I thought I was a superhero, and that the important heroic attribute I had, was balance. This is because I tried hard at everything, I tried hard at school, and tried even harder at games. In order words I took my fun and work very serious. All I am saying is that there wouldn't be a day we spent together that you wouldn't laugh with me and study with me. I vow to make your once in a lifetime college experience exhilarating!

Tell us what makes Stanford a good place for you.

Being Ghanaian, I based my University research a lot on climate. However, I didn't want this to prevent me from going to an excellent University like Stanford. After my research I concluded that Stanford was the best place for me. Stanford being located in California meant two things, it was a my ideal climate, and two it was close to the best Computer Science companies in the world. This meant I wouldn't have trouble finding internship, and later a job. I have no doubt about the quality of education Stanford would offer; it's reputation preceded its name. My like for Stanford grew as I researched more about it. I was especially delirious about the student-faculty research. A statement on the Computer Science page on the website hit me. It says, "The main educational goal is to prepare students for research and teaching careers either in universities or in industry." Stanford's goal is give me the necessary skills to become successful and influential. This means I will achieve my goal of, attaining excellent skills and using them to solve practical problems that would make the world an easier place to inhabit.

I need help!! please read and edit. Also tell me if you would let me in if you were an admissions office. Thank you in advance!!
mylittlegoni 3 / 11  

they are asking for one of two things... I would, in this case, open by stating which one you are talking about. I began readying your essay expecting it to be an experience

Proprietary software should be completely eradicated and replaced entirely with open source software. I have always wondered why I had to pay for some simple softwares while others of the same caliber or better, were a download away. Open source by definition is, "a development method for software that harnesses the power of distributed peer review and transparency of process." It is software that is available for others to study, change, and improve...

Like many other freshmen my greatest fear is to get a roommate that I won't like. Luckily, you wont have that problem! I believe in a verse from the bible that says, "theres time for everything". As a kid I thought I was a superhero, and that the important heroic attribute I had, was balance. This is because I tried hard at everything, I tried hard at school, and tried even harder at games.

<- a bit counter intuitive... if you put most your efforts into games i assume you didn't exactly put give school your absolute best efforts...

you might want to rephrase that...

I vow to make your once in a lifetime college experience exhilarating!
- very cute! that sentence really makes you standout

Being Ghanaian, I based my University research a lot on climate
-i don't know if this is the best/ most convincing way to explain why you chose that university over thousands of others... That seems like the complete opposite of what they want to hear

hope this helps :)
GOOD LUCK!
OP kdboadu 2 / 10  
Thank you a lot mylittlegoni!!! You are the best!! I will make the changes.
In other words, why should individuals commit their resources to open source projects when they will be gain no reward?

This discussion fo software is impressive!

As a kid I thought I was a superhero, and that the important heroic attribute I had (no need for a comma here) was balance.

Use hyphens:
...to make your once-in-a-lifetime college experience exhilarating!

These responses reflect a very interesting and cool personality! I like the part where you say, "Luckily, you won't have that problem!"

:-)
OP kdboadu 2 / 10  
Thank you ef kevin!!

Home / Undergraduate / "Proprietary software, roommate, research" - All Stanford's supplimentary essays