Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Prospective candidate ; Motivation Letter to Erasmus Mundus

aldobado 1 / -  
Guys, I made a last minute decision to apply for the program. If there's any of you who are keen to criticize my letter, I will be very glad. The deadline is just a few hours away.

Andika Rinaldo ASRY - Motivation Letter for Erasmus Mundus Masters in Strategic Project Management 2013
As the home of mostly G-8 country members, Europe has grasped my attention to know the country more especially from the aspects of its education system and cultures. I am working on the final thesis which is written in English, to pursue my Bachelor Engineering Degree of Industrial Engineering from Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia.

In April 2011, I was accepted to one of the most prominent universities in France, which was Institut d'Études Politiques de Paris; or well-known as Sciences Po Paris. After at least seven times of failures of my attempts to go abroad for academic purposes, I finally made it after two years of struggles. I was so lucky to receive full scholarships for one academic semester in Sciences Po Paris, which I found was the place of study for many French intellectuals, which include François Hollande and Nicolas Sarkozy. It was a very challenging yet great experiences I had since there seemed to be no engineering students went to the university for an exchange program before according to the Sciences Po's local coordinator's knowledge. I learned a lot of new things as I took some relevant courses which I have felt the positive relation to my study at UGM in industrial engineering which consists of socio-techno engineering. The courses I took were International Trade & Globalization, Cross-Cultural Management and Culture in the Digital Era. It was even more challenging to me at the time since I had never been going abroad before. I was unable to speak in French at all when I was accepted to the program. I believe that having had my experience of studying and living in Paris last year has given me an ease of understanding for dealing with the European study system.

In addition to the experiences of studying and living in Paris for one semester, I had been a very active and responsible student during my study. I was given the trust to be a teaching assistant to four courses, which were: Economics and Techno-Economics, Industrial Ergonomics, Production Planning and Inventory Control, and Plant Layout Planning. As a teaching assistant, I had the responsibility to give assistance to the students at any time during the semester, to evaluate weekly assignments and to collaborate with the Professors in composing the final assignment of each course.

I have a huge interest in project and strategic management. As my concentration in my undergraduate study is production engineering, I took Project Management and Strategic Management as two of four elective courses that I took (A grades for both). I am lucky to be currently appointed as the VP Communication and Membership of Project Management Institute - Indonesia Chapter, Yogyakarta Branch. To continue my study, I would really like to get the experience of studying at 3 prestigious universities which are the consortium of Erasmus Mundus MSPME Programs. As a master program which is taught by practitioners and researchers in project management, the prospective students will be trained to international certifications in project management by the PMIŽ (Project Management Institute) as I found on the program's website. This will be beneficial for me since I am currently an active member of the PMIŽ (Project Management Institute) Indonesia Chapter, and is currently holding the position of Yogyakarta Branch Vice President of Communication and Membership Division. If I get accepted to this program, I will surely get the broader knowledge about Project Management and also the ability of adapting to the international scope of the real implementation. Thus, I will be able to contribute to my country's development by sharing and implementing what I am going to get from the programs to both society and the company where I am going to work at. In this way, I will also be able to expose more efficient ways in undergoing projects that I will handle in the future.

To combine the strategic management and project management is a unique field of study that I believe will support one to another. To understand the connection between these two things, I am really eager to study them in order to get a better understanding to make me an excellent project manager in the future. As I found during my internship at Chevron Indonesia Company, there was a project of Oil Tank Repair which was behind schedule that was caused by the contractor was lacking of human resources but tried to convince the client that the distribution of the workers was a part of their strategic action in order to have a better results of the work. At that time, I was wondering if I could have a better knowledge of connecting between the project management and strategic management, then I found this perfect program which takes strategic project management as the main core of the study. I still in need to learn more tools in project management world, not only the PMBOK principles, but also the strategic actions and logics in order to be complimentary to the project executions.

After finishing my master in MSPME, I would surely contribute more in strengthening the Indonesian business particularly in oil energy field and business consulting field. I have it in mind to make the Indonesia become a more interesting country to invest on since we have so many natural resources that have not been explored yet, there are also many prospective human resources who are naturally have good strength and work ethic to develop. By doing so, Indonesia will become a much stronger nation to be on the top of the world's stages. By having relevant educational background and experiences in project and strategic management, I believe I will be a very prospective candidate to get enrolled to this MSPME program.

Home / Undergraduate / Prospective candidate ; Motivation Letter to Erasmus Mundus