"I am proud to be a freethinker" - UC prompt 2

ashelle 1 / -  
Prompt: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?

I sat in the car aimlessly looking out the window without a care in the world. Nothing was really important at the time. I felt that most of my life was already defined. Suddenly, a billboard of nowhere read, "IMAGINE." It was an advertisement for some travel agency, yet the simple word came to affect me with such profound significance. At that moment, I thought about all the things in life that I never thought about. I abandoned the limitations that I had set before. I felt my mind rushing to catch up with the range of thoughts that surged from one end to the other. Suddenly, everything right felt so wrong, and everything wrong felt so right, yet my mind never felt as lively as it did on that day, when I became a free thinker.

Free thinking was far from encouraged, and even restricted in my conservative family. However, the sudden realization the day I saw that billboard shaped my life in a different path. I was tired of listening to all the stories of life that were defined, and I certainly did not want to see life from a single perspective. Releasing my mind from all the family and societal rules of thought gave me the power to think beyond the surface.

Today, I am proud to be a freethinker. I am proud to contribute to a diversity of free minds. If all minds were associated on rules and regulations, how could anyone in the world contribute to innovation? Pluralism is a personal ideal that I hold close to my heart, and I know that if there are more free thinking people each day, we'll be closer and closer to pluralism.
Excellent sentence right here: Suddenly, everything right felt so wrong, and everything wrong felt so right, yet my mind never felt as lively as it did on that day, when I became a free thinker.

Free thinker is two words, not one...

You need just a bit more explanation of pluralism, perhaps at the start of the essay. Then, your mention of it at the end will tie in nicely.

good job!!

Kevin

Home / Undergraduate / "I am proud to be a freethinker" - UC prompt 2