'psychology measured up to my expectations' - Academic Interests- U of I essay

parimp 1 / -  
When I was younger, I remember people would always ask me what I wanted to be when I got older. My response would always be, "Happy." Though I have grown over the years, my ambition has remained primarily unchanged. My desire to find a profession that makes me truly "happy" has made me realize the importance of pursuing my passions.

This realization caused me to identify my passions rather than determining specific careers for my future. I have always loved listening to people express their innermost feelings and helping them rid themselves of their apprehensions has always left me with an indescribable feeling of satisfaction. I have also had a passion for helping others solve their problems; finding solutions to problems objectively is my forte. I have always been intrigued with the various aspects of human nature and understanding these innate disparities among people has led me to discover psychology- a field of study that encompasses all of my passions.

To see if psychology measured up to my expectations, I decided to enroll in AP psychology. I have learned a lot about the complexity of the human mind and have been specifically captivated by the relationship between the brain's specific structures and their relation to behavior: a field of study known as neuropsychology. Neuropsychology encompasses helping others, developing listening skills, learning how to solve others' problems- in the process, learning how to solve your own, and understanding the specific causes of human nature. These are all characteristics that recapitulate my passions in life and further studying the possibilities of neuropsychology will help attain my goal of being truly happy in the future.
This realization caused me to identify my passions rather than determining specific careers for my future.

You can cut all of this, and replace it with some sort of narrative anecdote that shows the truth of what you tell here:

have always loved listening to people express their innermost feelings and helping them rid themselves of their apprehensions has always left me with an indescribable feeling of satisfaction. I have also had a passion for helping others solve their problems; finding solutions to problems objectively is my forte.

Then, go through the rest of the essay and give some specifics. For instance:

captivated by the relationship between the brain's specific structures and their relation to behavior:

For example?

Home / Undergraduate / 'psychology measured up to my expectations' - Academic Interests- U of I essay