"Psychology isn't just a word" CAS Cornell Sup

angelaheartsyou 1 / 2  
Hey this is my essay for Cornell's topic:
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study. (500 words)

Psychology. To some people it's just a word, a class they take to fill a requirement, but for me it's a passion; what I want to do with my future. My interest in psychology first budded in my freshman year of high school, and has grown exponentially since. Since then I have looked for ways to learn all that there is to learn about the human mind.

The human mind has always interested me - how it works, how we learn, why we think the way we do. I sought to explore the human nature as in-depth as possible in my education. As a junior I opted to take Sociology as an elective. I wanted to learn about how influential society can be on people and how much it molds our thinking. For me that's what the interest always comes back to- the human mind and our thoughts. As a senior the first class I opted to take was AP Psychology, and I get excitement every day as we explore the astounding topic of the human mind.

I know that what began as simple curiosity will flourish into an endless thirst for information and I have no doubt that Cornell is the place for me to quench that thirst. The College of Arts and Sciences is filled with extensive classes and qualified teachers that I hope to one day learn under as I turn my interest into my major. I plan to major in Psychology with a concentration in social and personality psychology. Teachers that command a room in classes such as Introduction to Psychology or Introduction to Sociology, which I sat in on as a host student, are the mentors I hope to be able to look to for both information and inspiration.

It was during my time as a host student at Cornell that I realized how much I can further my interest in psychology there. I could say that it's because of the blessing of going to a prestigious school, or that it's because of the renowned teachers. I could say that I would be able to learn things that I wouldn't have the opportunity to learn elsewhere, and all of that would be true. The true reasons, however, expand father then that. Not only will I be getting a first class education, but I will have a want to learn. Cornell, I discovered, has an atmosphere that is surreal in its perfection. During my stay I was able to go from reading in the library with unwavering concentration, to walking around a campus bustling with life. It is a place where I know I will not only feel at home, but will truly want to take advantage of all that the school offers me.

When I first sat in on a psychology class at Cornell, the feeling I got when I first began to learn about psychology returned. I knew that I needed to be in this school and learn under these teachers. I have always thought of Cornell as a prestigious school, and while that is still true I have assigned it a new word: "me." Cornell University is no longer just a good school, but the right school.

Constructive comments please?
cdyal87 3 / 15  
Hi, the following comments come from your request of constructive criticism.

I believe that by saying psychology is "a class to fill a requirement" is to not give psychology the proper understanding in the form that you are utilizing it. Perhaps, if you say, "pscyhology courses" or "curriculum on psychology", this would espouse a closer relationship between "a class to fill a requirement" and the opening word. Most people do not associate Psychology as a class but as a "metaphysical" component of human understanding.

It would be feliticious if you named a few ways that you "have looked for ways to learn all that there is to learn about the human mind." It is a confirmation that you ahve asserted yourself towards a future goal and not merely thought about one.

It is confusing in the third paragraph when you say, "teachers that command a room in classes...". Did you mean to say something else? I would consider revising.

Also, staing when and in what class you sat in at Cornell would be proper and informative.

Does this help? I hope so:)
Cindy D.

Home / Undergraduate / "Psychology isn't just a word" CAS Cornell Sup