Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Purdue: Second Chance is to help my parents adapt to American culture

jyang 1 / -  
If you had a second chance - the opportunity to do something over and do it differently - what would you choose to do over and what changes would you make?

I'm not sure if it needs to be more personal and have more emotion, but I would really appreciate it if you could give me some feedback, thanks for your time!

Two feet tall, short black hair, and rose pink cheeks, dressed in a bright yellow outfit waiting to board the ship. I can still remember the nauseating feeling from the boat ride and the butterflies in my stomach as the airplane landed. We were surrounded by Chinese immigrants who had the same passion for achieving their lifelong dreams in the United States of America. The day we arrived in America, we knew life was going to be a struggle due to the language barrier from our family of five. My sisters and I were enrolled into an American public school with English as Second Language course, while my parents looked for jobs. My mother became a Housekeeper and my father became cook at a restaurant, and they were working from morning till night every day. Attending a public school allowed me to adapt to the American culture easily from my peers. I learned the English language, celebrations of Halloween throughout the years; I evolved from being a Chinese immigrant to a Chinese American. However, my parents remained as Chinese immigrants; they never related to the American society, they never had the chance to learn English.

My parents have encountered many obstacles to help me have a better education in life. From the day we arrived in America, my mother and father have worked around the clock to get through each day. My biggest regret is not helping my parents after all the time and effort they have sacrificed in their lives. The opportunity that I got was great and it helped me a lot, but I never shared that knowledge with my parents. If I had a second chance, I would help my parents adapt to the American culture by sharing my experiences with them: the moment that I read my first book of "The Cat in the Hat" or the excitement of celebrating Independence Day with cheeseburgers and fireworks. If I had helped my parents while I was being educated, it could have benefited all of us. If my parents learned English, they could have obtained better careers instead of working as a housekeeper or a cook for the past 15 years. My parents could have been anything they wanted, but they focused on their children rather than themselves. While they were being selfless, I felt selfish for not trying to help them. I was so caught up with my needs that I never cared for my parents. They never asked for anything but hope for the best for their children. I would make the change of taking time out of my life and teaching my parents English as I was being educated (want to elaborate, but not sure how).

Although second chances don't come as often as we hope it would, we should take advantage of opportunities and be persistent of achieving our goals. (should I add a sentence about my major, Electrical Engineering, and talk about how committed I am and how much i have to offer?)

Home / Undergraduate / Purdue: Second Chance is to help my parents adapt to American culture