Purple/environmental club/Professor Vadim Backman ; Unique qualities of Northwestern

sillybandz 6 / 20  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Purple has always been prominent throughout my life. Flags, banners, and faces of those around me immersed in the color. Being a student at Cherry Hill High School West is more than being one in a crowd of many. It's being a lion, and partaking in activities like environmental club, and community service to show my pride. In our culture, amongst peers we call it Lion's Pride. When it came time to sit down and discuss my future with a guidance counselor, I told him that I desired a place like here. I detailed my experiences, and talked about what I wished to enjoy, in both activities and scenery. I wanted a place to relax, where on late nights I could walk a few steps and look upon a pond, a lake, or some body of water to appease me. Subsequent to hearing my requisition, the counselor recommended Northwestern. I was intrigued by the scenic picturesque campus that his words painted, and enthralled by programs that he spelled out.

Situated alongside Lake Michigan, the McCormick School of Engineering delights all things in me. However, the work of Professor Vadim Backman in engineering and medicine stays particularly close to my heart.

When informed that my closest friend had a family history plagued with cancer and heart diseases, I had been concerned about her future. I was always frightened that she would live in fear. Already scared several times by inaccurate screenings, she was convinced that the technology for detection of cancer was lagging behind. However, I this was untrue. Backman and his team currently are trying to develop screening tools that are more effective in detecting major types of cancer. Through computer analysis, Backman so far he has researched pancreatic and colon cancer cells, hoping to create a simple way to detect them. With more research in this area of study, a large population of the world and especially my friend can be troubled less, knowing that with easy detection there is early detection.

It can be said that multiple unique aspects draw me to the McCormick School of Engineering. Northwestern offers a sense of belonging to me through its the ubiquitous spirit, but also provides me with the power to partake in something that I wish to change; my friends future.
brightlights208 2 / 4 1  
I think the overall essay is great but I don't think you should end the last sentence about your friend. It takes away from the whole point of the prompt of what makes Northwestern specific and unique.
xphyllisx 6 / 22 1  
I think you failed to answer crucial parts from the prompt. You had me attention in the first paragraph but once I hit the second paragraph I felt like I lost any sense of how you are. You speak about the importance of Professor Vadim Backman's research but not how you hope to take advantage of the qualities the university has. its good that you mentioned him, but try to find specific qualities of the university that you plan to utilize. Your essay has the potential of being incredible, just make sure you show your genuine interest in this school as you do for yours :)

Home / Undergraduate / Purple/environmental club/Professor Vadim Backman ; Unique qualities of Northwestern