Putting my thoughts on paper; UT austin Statement of Purpose

nuncio900 2 / 3  
The statement of purpose ...

Putting my thoughts on paper, I realize that this is the first of many meaningful steps I will need to take before fulfilling my dream of becoming a successful engineer. Throughout my schooling, I have always had a fascination for math and the sciences; however, not until my senior year of high school did I act on the urge to distinguish myself from my classmates in these subjects. I toiled away for hours solving an endless mountain of problems in AP calculus and physics. At the end of the countless hours spent, I surprisingly discovered that I actually enjoyed applying math and science. At the point of this realization, I knew that a career in engineering was meant for me.

My competitive nature always has led toward the betterment of myself, and ultimately has led me to seek admission to the University of Texas as a Chemical Engineering major. When I began my studies I was uncertain as to exactly which realm of engineering to study. My heavy interest in physics helped to narrow my options to a more "physical" engineering; however, plenty of options still remained. It was upon a whim that I decided to select a variant of my original plan of engineering: chemical engineering. Uncertainty did indeed arise about my decision, since I still had time and other options, and wanted to ensure the best fit for all of my efforts, so I researched further.

Not long after I altered my plan, at a career fair, I solidified my decision with the specific branch of engineering to study. Speaking with experienced chemical engineers from Valero Corporation, Flint Hills Resources, and Citgo Petroleum Corporation, I learned what the career path specifically entailed. I needed a background in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, calculus, and chemistry; however, what was described to me at the time was only one aspect of the broad field of chemical engineering: process control. It wasn't until a month later during a lecture from Professor Chisholm, did I truly know specifically the aspect of chemical engineering I would enjoy. The creating, optimizing, integrating knowledge, and the responsibility of process engineering fit perfectly into my career aspirations.

The Chemical Engineering program of the University of Texas will challenge and shape me into an engineer both able and ready to improve the industry. I do expect tasks to arise that will require creativity in problem solving. Be it a bombardment of tests, an issue I have yet to fully comprehend and subsequently master, or numerous projects due--I meet problems with solutions, instead of excuses; which is the composition of a good engineer. The quality of education I expect to receive will aid me to become a chemical engineer known for my workmanship, my ethics, as well as my reliability in the industry. The broad field of chemical engineering has many possibilities of application; however, with the University of Texas's ability to specialize in an area, I can fulfill my desire to make my mark in the technical field of Process Engineering. As a process engineer, I can further improve the industry and be a valuable assesset to the lucky company I work towards.

I am already an active member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineering and the Society of Petroleum engineers and I am positive that I will bring good to the student chapters of the University of Texas. I will I am confident that I am ready, and I am prepared for the challenges to come. I will eagerly accept appointment to the program, and I will prove my worth without a doubt if given the opportunity. I am ready, willing, and able to realize the vision of who I am meant to be.
As I sit, p Putting my thoughts to paper, I realize that...

Okay, how about three paragraphs. First explains your desire to be a chemical engineer and also tells specifically what kind of work you would like to do.

Second paragraph talks about scientists you admire, articles you have recently read, and your opinions.

Third repeats something from the first paragraph, and gives one extra thought about the meaningfulness of chem. engineering.

Give them three good paragraphs based on one central idea.
preciouslady 1 / 2  
it took me till my last year of high school

try: however, it was only in my senior year of high school.

Try explaining what engineering means to you and why you feel their school is the best school to pursue said choice.

Good Luck

Can anyone tell me how do i submiutt my essay to essay forum
Hi Dimoaya,

All you have to do is choose a category and click "NEW THREAD"

Let us know if you have any trouble!! :-) Thanks for the help you gave here.
OP nuncio900 2 / 3  
Ok well I've been able to expand much more on it, thank you so much for the ideas. I've decided for now to have: introduction, what I want to major in, and how the university will help me to accomplish it. This is what i've been able to complete, I want to know if this is going about it in the right direction, if something missing, and/or constructive criticism. Thank you again!
...realize that this is the first step of many meaningful steps I will need to take b efore fulfilling my dream of becoming a successful engineer.

However, not until my senior year of high school did I act out on the urge to distinguish myself from my classmates in these subjects.-----> good sentence!

...and grow me into an engineer able and ready to improve the industry.
No, don't write "grow me into..." but instead...and shape me into an engineer able and ready to improve the industry.

You have an excellent way with words -- straightforward.

Treat the last paragraph as though it is part of a test to see how much you studied about their school. Name student organizations, recent events, names of faculty members in the department you are interested in... fill that para with evidence that you are already an expert about their school.
OP nuncio900 2 / 3  
I think this will be my final, before my submission. Thank you Kevin for the editing that you done to my paper! I hope I wrote exactly as you suggested would be best. Thank you ahead of time as always!

Home / Undergraduate / Putting my thoughts on paper; UT austin Statement of Purpose