What qualities or Characteristics can you contribute to UCF - Humble, Strong, Liberated Mindset

Jaxkirch 1 / -  
What qualities or unique characteristics do you possess that would allow you to contribute to the UCF community?

I've always been someone to lean on or someone to come to for advice. I maintain a humble, strong and liberated mindset. I simply don't let things that don't go my way get me down. I recently had to cope with the early and unexpected passing of my grandparents. This devastated many members of my family, and while I too, loved and miss both of my grandparents, I didn't let it negatively impact my life. I tried to help my mother and family heal from our loss and I kept strong. I knew that my grandparents would not want our lives to be damaged by their absence, but they would want us to be brought together as a stronger family. I believe the qualities I possess can be very useful at the UCF community because it's a time where everyone is trying to find themselves through wisdom and exploration. The college life undoubtedly brings stress and hardship, and I am a very valuable asset to those who let these things bring them down. Many students often get to stressed and confused on what they want to do, that they forget what college is all about. It's about being in a community to learn about yourself, your peers and the world around you. If I am able to help liberate the mind of just one or a handful of my peers it means a great deal to me.

Everyone deserves to enjoy their life at college. They are known to be the best of your life, but that is up to how you make them. I'm going to college to not just get a degree but to enjoy my time there. Not everyone comes out of college with a degree or a good experience. Chances are they let stress or other negative events ruin their college experience. I hope to rid as many people from this mindset as possible. I use what knowledge and logic I have to try to explain to people what my philosophy of life is. No one is born with a purpose or a set destiny, all of your life is determined by your choices and those who you surround yourself with. I hope that I myself can attend UCF and enjoy my time while there helping others enjoy their life and their stay at the University.

I often spend my time alone trying to soak up information to analyze it. I know I'm not perfect, I'm not a star athlete or a talented artist, but I work with what I was born with and that's what is most important, to be what you are. I encourage people to try new things, because if you don't you will never know what you could be missing out on. I'm the type of person who can read Wikipedia articles for hours and get lost in time just learning the details of new things. People look at how I carry myself and are usually confused. I often get in conflicts with my parents who are very conventional and see things only through their experiences in life. I believe that I am very capable at seeing things from others perspectives and knowing others motivations. This helps me understand who to surround myself with in order to have myself and those around me benefit from each other's company. While I do spend most of my time by myself, I use it to better myself and those around me.
TVLAERE 9 / 24 3  
This is great. The only thing I have doubts about is how you describe the passing's effect on you: It is a litlle bit cold. I know that you do not want to appear too emotional to maintain a strong image, but try to say something about how you kept strong and how you helped your family.

Good luck
Jax, this is a pretty good essay. It really shows the kind of contribution that you can make to the university. That said, there is still room for improvement within certain paragraphs. I am not sure in which paragraphs you can insert my suggestions. I know that you will be able to find a spot for my upcoming suggestions. These are just meant to better highlight how you can contribute to UCF.

1. If UCF already has existing organizations that you can join based upon your description of your character, I suggest you mention the organization. That way you can better represent your ideas that pertain to changing a mindset, increasing enjoyment during college, and other similar contributions.

2. If there is no organization, then suggest that you would be open and willing to pioneering or founding such an organization for the benefit of the students.

Your essay has a good foundation based upon theoretical ideas. It will be strengthened further if you can connect it to actual organizations that you can join or establish during your tenure as a student. Consider this a paper that should highlight your ability to become a student leader on campus. That, after all, comprises the reasons behind your contribution to the campus community. Remember, you need help to execute your plans to contribute to the university community. This would be the best way and time to present these ideas for the university's consideration.

Home / Undergraduate / What qualities or Characteristics can you contribute to UCF - Humble, Strong, Liberated Mindset