"What qualities do you feel you would bring to our institution?"

tisluke 1 / 1  
My Cooper Union application questionnaire asks: "What qualities do you feel you would bring to our institution?"

What do you think is the best way to approach this kind of question? I'm unsure how to answer it in a way that presents me as a valuable student without sounding cocky. Any feedback is appreciated!

p.s. There is no word/character count, but this is one of 13 questions in the application.
vkwang 7 / 16  
You could start by saying how you could benefit others by helping them out in times of need, offering your services, help give the school a good image. There are many different ways to answer this question without sounds cocky. Be truthful
zowzow 10 / 175  
bring out your character and personality that is unique and thus sets you apart from other people. If you are a someone that moderates, i.e. solves peoples problems, expand on that. If you have lived in three different countries and thus have encorporated values from all three, then say you will bring interesting diversity. Some aspect of yourself that makes yourself unique.
Also, don't worry about sounding cocky. You are supposed to be selling yourself -- this is no time for false modesty. Just make sure you have specific examples that prove your points. So, if you say you are the most self-sacrificing person ever, make sure you give an anecdote in which you are clearly self-sacrificing, and so on.
Yes, and here is a new application of the principle "show, don't tell." In writing, it is said that you should give examples to show this or that rather than just telling the reader this and that...but with an essay like this there is another application of that principle: use this opportunity to win the reader over by showing, through the quality of your writing and the appeal of your personality, something that is even more impressive than the topics about which you actually write. Show them what kind of person you are with the way you answer the question.
OP tisluke 1 / 1  
Thank you guys, all of your answers have been helpful.

Home / Undergraduate / "What qualities do you feel you would bring to our institution?"